Lore ProposalsDemonAnastasi's Material

This forum is home to the any suggestions, informal write ups and lore discussions Players may have.
Currituck Itavi

Re: NPC Approval Requests

Post by Currituck Itavi »

Please belay this entry, as I will be writing up all Organized Sailing officers in the lore articles for their respective ships. I have copied this CS into the document for The Gaudy Verse, so in osgaka (not to worry) about this information being lost!
Click to view artwork
NPC Type: TNPC
Name: Ruslan Zhumaev
Race: Hellbend
Birth Year: 21st Fall, 253 AC
Profession: Captain of The Gaudy Verse
Skills: Leadership (Master), Navigation (Master), Wilderness Survival (Ocean) (Master), Cartography (Expert), Astronomy (Expert), Intimidation (Journeyman), Charisma (Journeyman), Endurance (Journeyman), Observation (Journeyman), Carving (Journeyman), Food Preparation (Journeyman), Medicine (Apprentice), Singing (Apprentice)
Languages & Fluency: Rigarian (Fluent), Common (Fluent)
Reading Language & Fluency: Rigarian (Fluent), Common (Fluent)
Writing Language & Fluency: Rigarian (Fluent), Common (Fluent)
Swimming: Yes
Appearance: 6' 4". Dark red, wrinkly skin. Light gray eyes. Right handed. Faded dark burgundy hair that falls just past his shoulders -- has a short moustache and a two-inch-long beard. Two-inch horns that begin right above his temples and sweep backward along the sides of his head roughly parallel to the ground (the visor of his captain's hat is customized to be slightly narrower than normal so as to fit between the bases of his horns, but no tailoring of the hat is otherwise needed to fit his horns). Black captain's coat with eight gold buttons and black captain's hat -- the flag of The Gaudy Verse is embroidered in miniature on the patch on the front of his hat, as per uniform regulations for sailing captains. Blue button-down shirt, off-white pants, dark brown leather boots with laces. His age has not affected his above-average posture. Farsighted, needs glasses to see up close such as when reading or looking at a map.
Personality: Calm, levelheaded, firm. Speaks in an even, normal tone but can (and will) bellow loudly if necessary (voice pitch: low tenor). An excellent and effective leader, can shut someone up just by raising his hand. Almost larger than life -- the respect he commands can turn even terrifying tyrants into obedient dogs with their tails between their legs. Gentle, kind, and compassionate -- will extend his aid to a member of his crew personally. Is friendly towards his crew, and greets and bids farewell to sailors whom he's built a relationship with apart from the captain/subordinate one amiably, occasionally stopping to chat if neither party is busy working. Focused and professional. Supports use of corporal punishment on his ship (including use of the captain's daughter/cat o' nine tails), but not to an extreme degree. Laughter is typically a cute, quiet chuckle but can be an uproarious cackle if the feelings of mirth are strong enough. Rubs his hands together when pleased. Loves cats and enjoys carving wooden figures of them and other animals in his spare time -- his captain's quarters has a number of his feline woodcarvings on shelves and end tables as well as his desk for decoration (the one on his desk is named Spikkura and is female). Knows how to cook for himself and apply first aid. Likes to dance to music, especially traditional Hellbend music and folk songs, Paethsmouth folk songs (sailor songs in particular), and Great Plains folk songs.

Bollocking (telling-off) style: order the person to stand at attention, invade their personal space, use a low but firm tone, ask rhetorical questions that force the person to think about their actions (not looking for an actual explanation), hammer the point home with a direct scolding for performing those actions. Order the person to go to his captain's quarters either immediately if the infraction was severe or pull them aside into his quarters later if the infraction was more mild for a more private, in-depth talking to, at which point the person will be able to explain themself and their actions, but if the person attempts to explain themself during the bollocking, raise right hand as a means of saying "I'm speaking, shut your mouth," and then continue once they shut up. If they refuse to shut up, wait with hand raised for however long it takes them to realize he's staring at them and add to the questioning something along the lines of: "Did I ask/order you to explain yourself/speak?" If the person doesn't get the hint at this point that they shouldn't be talking during the bollocking and they respond with something like "No, sir," then say: "Then why did you open your mouth and start talking?" and not let them answer that question. Alternatively in this scenario, rather than ask a rhetorical question, make a statement along the lines of "I did not order you to speak." Zhumaev's objective for bollockings is to acknowledge and punish infractions, not look for explanations. The person can better explain themself once they've cooled down and had time to think about what they did and why they did it.

Sailor dialect and accent: Paethsmouth.

Background/History: Born in Lysium, family moved to a mixed race village in the Great Plains countryside when he was four. Owned cats as a child. Has been a sailor all his adult life, basing himself out of Paethsmouth. Rose through the ranks to become the captain of his very own ship, The Gaudy Verse, which he named after the fact that he's tone-deaf and can't carry a tune to save his life. Has captained that vessel since the summer of 282, a few weeks before his 29th birthday in the early fall. Is not in a romantic or sexual relationship, having discovered his lack of those feelings towards anyone in his youth (aromantic asexual orientation); as such, The Gaudy Verse is his only child. And his past and future cats. Owns no cats presently due to a ship not being the best place for them -- would rather deal with rats than put a cat in harm's way. Has become fluent in both Rigarian and Common due to his extensive experience on mixed-race ships as well as attending Common language classes so that there are no language barriers between himself and his crew members. His original first mate was promoted to captain in 218, and he saw promise in a young, intimidating 22-year-old sailor named Ishenbai Baltabaev and hired him on to be his first mate. Baltabaev was Zhumaev's proud first mate for two years; Zhumaev largely overlooked Baltabaev's passion in dishing out corporal punishments until it came to a head in the winter of 320 in which Baltabaev took things too far, for which Zhumaev severely reprimanded him and fired him. Baltabaev's termination was effective immediately after the ship concluded that particular voyage on the 38th, at which point he was stripped of his rank and forced to work as a regular sailor again. When asked about what happened to Baltabaev -- he was an infamous first mate among sailors -- and why, Zhumaev responds simply and firmly along the lines of "I won't have balkos on my ship," and say no more about it -- he's ashamed of even letting the situation get to that point. So knowledge of what transpired regarding how Baltabaev was demoted is limited to rumors. Zhumaev hired Mary Jo Mullens as his first mate two days later on the 40th. Zhumaev will retire in the winter of 228 AC at age 75 and live in Paethsmouth with numerous cats, taking up piano both to serenade his four-legged babies and to see if he can carry a tune there. The Gaudy Verse will either be passed down to his first mate, handed over to a more worthy successor to his captaincy, or sold -- most likely sold so he has plenty of money to live out his retirement.
Other: As of the Distance Travel update on May 21st, 2021, The Gaudy Verse's travel time as depicted in Trials at Sea is obsolete, so when writing voyages aboard The Gaudy Verse, do not use Trials at Sea as a guideline for travel time. The Gaudy Verse is a small vessel with large sails and a large cargo capacity. As such, she takes 17 days (the average for merchant/passenger vessels) to reach Paethsmouth from Avakaron at full capacity and vice-versa (take into account weather conditions and variations of capacity when putting together a timeline for voyages). Her flag consists of a musical staff stylized like lines representing blowing wind as mentioned before in the center, a cloud at the top left corner, and a cloud at the bottom right corner, all on a sky blue background. More information on the symbols on captains' hats and their relation to their ships' flags will be noted in my future lore proposal for Gordon Strait/northern Winhem sailing customs and culture. Additionally, I shall be submitting a TNPC approval request for his current first mate, Mary Jo Mullens, at the earliest convenience, and I shall create artwork for her as well. Examples of how Zhumaev is used as a character can be found in Currituck's solo thread, Trials at Sea. Feel free to use him as a deus ex machina in stories, as that was his purpose in Trials at Sea.
More artwork of Captain Zhumaev, depicting scenes from Trials at Sea
"We're making good time, Baltabaev."
(Zhumaev rubbing his hands together pleasedly.)
"Just what kind of first mate are you? What kind of balko did I hire?"
(Zhumaev's bollocking style.)
Baltabaev opens his mouth to answer, but the captain raises his hand and he closes it.
(Zhumaev's bollocking style.)
"Take my hand."
(Zhumaev's kindness.)
Last edited by Currituck Itavi on Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 6 times in total. word count: 1785
DemonAnastasi
(WIP) Organized Sailing: Culture, Customs, and More

Post by DemonAnastasi »

Organized Sailing Culture and Customs

Herein I shall describe in detail the culture and customs I have been writing under for Gordon Strait sailing that I now propose to be inducted into official Siliren lore. In-character, this is called Gordon Strait sailing, or simply organized sailing, rather than specifying the portion of the Gordon Strait bordering Winhem's northern shores, due to the fact that lands beyond the Strait are yet undiscovered. These customs and this culture are exclusive to shipping operations between the ports of Avakaron and Paethsmouth, although some culture such as accents and slang has trickled down the Tawley River given the riverboat shippers' interactions with sailors in the western port town of Paethsmouth.
Organized Sailing: A Mixed-race Operation.

Organized sailing in the Gordon Strait is a mixed-race operation. The Strait sees all kinds brave its vast waters, with sailors both Human and Hellbend, from both the Great Plains and the Eastern Steppes, from all array of backgrounds, working on cargo ships and passenger ships alike. Age is of no consequence granted that the individual is able physically to do the work and mentally to endure the hardships. Those who have not reached adulthood may not have the maturity to cope with life at sea while those who are up in years may not be physically capable of all duties; younger sailors and older sailors who have not already been promoted to an officer's rank may be assigned the less-stressful, less-strenuous duties of steward as accommodation, so many stewards are in their teenage years or are elderly. The dockmasters of Avakaron and Paethsmouth factor age into putting prospective younger or older sailors on the shipping schedule on a case-by-case basis.

Racism.

Race is another factor of no consequence. It doesn't matter whether someone is a Human or a Hellbend -- if they can do the job, they're in. They're a sailor, and that's all that matters to a crew. Given that sailors interact with other sailors of the other race frequently on a daily basis, prejudices can be shattered quickly. A Human sailor may be of the opinion that Hellbends are all towering brutes who are only good for heavy lifting and magic, but imagine how their mind would change when a Hellbend crewmate gently comforts them and provides emotional support after a mental breakdown. A Hellbend sailor may think that all Humans are puny and fragile tech nerds, but imagine their surprise when a Human crewmate picks them up and carries them to sick bay after they break a leg. Racial prejudices are challenged every day at sea, and only the most deeply-set of opinions can remain in a longtime sailor's heart.

Camaraderie.

When you're out on the open sea, you depend on those around you to ensure everyone makes it back to port safe and sound. Without you and your crewmates, the ship can't move. Therefore, sailors form close bonds with one another. These bonds can be anything from tight-knit friendships to even considering each other family regardless of blood relation or race. This value of community originated with Hellbend sailors and stuck quick with Human sailors, and the rest is history! You are often to hear sailors singing songs of the sea together and buying each other rounds of drinks in bars even without personal knowledge of who each other are -- this natural camaraderie is based solely on the fact that they're all sailors. As a Hellbend sailor would say, "Sailors are the family, the Gordon Strait is the longhouse, and the ships and ports are the individual rooms." Sailors stick together!

Technology.

Modern sailing technology is mostly a product of Human ingenuity, although Hellbends are a big player in sailing innovations given their experience with the ocean due to their capital's prime location on the coast. The mundane workings of merchant ships are largely Human in design with their wood and metal but also incorporate Hellbend design, such as the cooking area of galleys having limestone tile flooring and surfaces as an added safety precaution against fire. The shipwrights of organized sailing endeavor to stay at the forefront of innovation, so if a new technology arises that may improve sailing, then the shipwrights will pounce on it and work on implementing the new technology immediately!

Magic.

All parts of a ship may be operated without Rigen, although some seamen may use Rigen in lieu of mundane options, such as a Chief Steward lighting the galley stoves in the morning with pyromancy or a First Mate illuminating the crew quarters with lumenmancy when delivering the wake-up call. There is a general ban on pyromancy aboard ships given that most surfaces are flammable, with exceptions being granted by each ship's captain on an individual, case-by-case basis. A captain may also ban use of Rigen on their ship entirely, even in emergencies (of course, one may break such a rule, but one would almost certainly receive a bollocking as a result if all parties involved in the near-inevitable reprimand survive).

Language.

Given that Common speakers and Rigarian speakers alike work together closely on ships, it is common for a sailor to know at least a few words from their non-native tongue. This poor understanding consists typically of commands (i.e. "attention," "carry on," etc.), sailor slang, and curses, but a sailor may also know what a handful of parts of a ship are called in the other language. Officers usually have at least a conversational grasp of their non-native language for effective communication with the crew, and this moderate level of comprehension is limited to commands, topics related to the job (i.e. "are you lot/you crew going to bed anytime soon?," "you're late to the meal call," etc.), and whatever else the officer may have picked up on.
Last edited by DemonAnastasi on Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:04 am, edited 3 times in total. word count: 990
Currituck Itavi

Re: NPC Approval Requests

Post by Currituck Itavi »

Quotation from Bige
Bigealien wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:25 pm Comments on Ruslan Zhumaev:
Currituck Itavi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:05 pm Languages & Fluency: Rigarian (Fluent), Common (Fluent)
Reading Language & Fluency: Rigarian (Fluent), Common (Fluent)
Writing Language & Fluency: Rigarian (Fluent), Common (Fluent)
Please add the Swimming Basic Skill yes/no.
Currituck Itavi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:05 pm Appearance: 6' 4". Dark red, wrinkly skin. Light gray eyes. Right handed. Faded dark burgundy hair that falls just past his shoulders -- has a short moustache and a two-inch-long beard. Black captain's coat with eight gold buttons and black captain's hat -- the flag of The Gaudy Verse is embroidered in miniature on the patch on the front of his hat, as per uniform regulations for sailing captains. Blue button-down shirt, off-white pants, dark brown leather boots with laces. His age has not affected his above-average posture. Farsighted, needs glasses to see up close such as when reading or looking at a map.
If you want/can find a Pinterest picture that fits with this PC feel free to give me the link to the Pinterest post (important, not just the image I need the Pinterest link) - or, of course, you can submit one of your own drawings to be put into the lore.
Currituck Itavi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:05 pm Other: The Gaudy Verse is a small vessel with a large cargo capacity. As such, she takes four days (the average for merchant/passenger vessels) to reach Paethsmouth from Avakaron at full capacity (take into account weather conditions and variations of capacity when putting together a timeline for voyages). Her flag consists of a musical staff stylized like lines representing blowing wind as mentioned before in the center, a cloud at the top left corner, and a cloud at the bottom right corner, all on a sky blue background. More information on the symbols on captains' hats and their relation to their ships' flags will be noted in my future lore proposal for Gordon Strait/northern Winhem sailing customs and culture. Additionally, I shall be submitting a TNPC approval request for his current first mate, Mary Jo Mullens, at the earliest convenience, and I may create artwork for both of them. Examples of how Zhumaev is used as a character can be found in Currituck's solo thread, Trials at Sea. Feel free to use him as a deus ex machina in stories, as that was his purpose in Trials at Sea.
I have recently doubled the size of Winhem, so this 4 days to paesthmouth may no longer be correct. I recommend double checking.

Captain Zhumaev's sheet has been updated with everything specified, including all artwork I have made featuring him! I also added that he likes to dance and what music he likes, but didn't give him any Dance skill. Furthermore, I updated The Gaudy Verse's travel time to reflect the May 25th Distance Travel update to 17 days one way (average speed).
word count: 595
DemonAnastasi
Re: (WIP) Gordon Strait/Northern Winhem Sailing Culture and Customs

Post by DemonAnastasi »

Accents and Dialects: A tale of two ports.

The most immediately-relevant aspect of Gordon Strait sailing to players will be the two distinct dialects: one belonging to sailors based out of the Hellbend port city of Avakaron and one belonging to sailors based out of the Human port town of Paethsmouth. These dialects and accompanying accents span both the Common and the Rigarian languages.

Avakaronian sailor dialect and accent.
Avakaronian sailors' speech is characterized by a lot of contracted "uh" sounds, courtesy of the pronunciations of the Rigarian language, usage of which is prevalent in this port. For example, the word "can" becomes "cun," and then is contracted to "c'n," with the "uh" sound partially or entirely omitted. Drunkenness causes these "uh" sounds to actually be pronounced, such as when Currituck used the word "my/m'/ma" in describing his compass in The Brazen and Buff: "I love muh combuss." Accent-wise, Avakaronians' speech sounds similar to a U.S. southern accent, specifically accents in North Carolina.

Paethsmouther sailor dialect and accent.
Paethsmouther sailors' speech is characterized by a lot of exaggerated "ah" sounds courtesy of the influence of the pronunciations of the Common language, usage of which is prevalent in this port. A's are pronounced like the "o" in "on" for the most part. Hence, in Currituck's solo thread, Trials at Sea, the first mate of the ship, Baltabaev, constantly mispronounced Currituck's last name, Itavi, as "ee-TOH-vee" due to being a Paethsmouther and having only seen the spelling of the surname, rather than the correct pronunciation of "ee-TAH-vee," with the A pronounced like the "a" in "an." Spelling-wise, in places where Avakaronians' speech would have omitted u's, Paethsmouthers' speech would have a's inserted instead. Additionally, "for" and "your/you're" become "fer" and "yer," respectively. Accent-wise, Paethsmouthers' speech sounds similar in some ways to a U.S. southern accent and in other ways to an English accent (someone familiar with English accents can help me pinpoint a specific one).

A shining example of how this dialect is rendered textually is as follows, from Baltabaev again: "YA BETTER GET YER SORRY GISSES DOWN TA THA GALLEY BAFORE AH MAKE THA LOT A' YA DEEP-CLEAN THA DECK WITH YER TONGUES!!!"

Pronunciation and Spelling Guide
Paethsmouther landie Avakaronian
ma me m'
ya you y'
tha the th'
ta to t'
fer for f'r
bafore before b'fore

Other Words Pronunciation Guide
Not necessarily a spelling guide, as these pronunciations can be inferred by the presence of the other unique word spellings of each character's dialect.

chock (a like the o in "on") chak chack (a like the a in "an")
GALL-stir (gal as in "fall") galster GAL-stir (gal as in "foul")
gun-DROW (gun as in "fun," drow as in "cow") gundrow GOON-droh (gun as in "loon," drow as in "toe")
spod (like squad) spad spad (like mad)
fock fuck fack
SHON-tee-m'n (the first a is pronounced like a Paethsmouther, while the second is pronounced like an Avakaronian! Funny, innit?) shantyman SHAN-tee-MAN (all a's are pronounced the Avakaronian way, as in "an." Sharp as a blade, ain't it?)
If in your writing you come across a word not covered in this guide whose pronunciation you think may change because of the sailor's accent, PM DemonAnastasi on Discord for guidance or simply roll with it!

Sailor Phrases and their Landie Equivalents
Innit? Isn't it? Ain't it?
(N/A) Dear Lord!, Oh my god!, etc. (exclamation of surprise) Muostas's Depths!
Citah's sake fuck's sake, chak's sake, Pete's sake, God's sake (exclamation of exasperation) chak's sake
Fun fact: Sailors pronounce Muostas and Citah's names according to the pronunciation rules of their respective accents, too! The Gods' names are pronounced Muost's and Cituh by Avakaronians and MuostAs and CitAH by Paethsmouthers.

Common phrases in the Avakaronian dialect.
  • Muostas's Depths! -- an exclamation denoting surprise. Not referring to an actual place, but referencing the fact that Muostas is the God of the Ocean and that the ocean is regarded as belonging to him, therefore his depths. Used more by Avakaronian sailors than the phrase "Citah's Sake," which is favored in the Paethsmouther dialect. (Fun fact: Avakaronians pronounce the A's in Muostas and Citah's names as "uh," too!)
  • chak's sake -- an exclamation of exasperation used in the same vein as Citah's sake. Same thing as the Common equivalent, fuck's sake.
  • uhh.../umm... -- the phonetics uttered when thinking, given the characteristics of the Avakaronian accent.
Avakaronians with a thicker accent are less likely to articulate the full pronunciation of the self-referent subjective pronoun in entirety, pronouncing "I" like the a in "an" rather than the proper pronunciation of the Paethsmouther "AH" followed by the vowel sound "EE." This would be rendered textually as "A." For example: "A'll order more deck nails."

Common phrases in the Paethsmouther dialect.
  • Citah's sake -- an exclamation denoting exasperation, less usually surprise. It is used far more often than the similar exclamation of "Muostas's Depths," which seems to be favored by Avakaronian sailors. (Fun fact: Paethsmouthers pronounce the A's in Citah and Muostas's names as "ah," too!)
  • "Yeah~ Yeah~" (Rigarian)/"Aye~ Aye~" (Common), "Nah~ Nah~" -- easygoing way of saying "yes" and "no" when in friendly company. These phrases are heard all the time in the Sailor's Junction.
  • ahh.../ahmm... -- the phonetics uttered when thinking, given the characteristics of the Paethsmouther accent.
Paethsmouthers with a thicker accent are less likely to articulate the full pronunciation of the self-referent subjective pronoun in entirety, pronouncing "I" like the o in "on" rather than the proper pronunciation of the Paethsmouther "AH" followed by the vowel sound "EE." This would be rendered textually as "Ah." For example: "Ah'm goin' ashore, sir."

Rivalry.

Avakaronian and Paethsmouther sailors share a (more or less) friendly rivalry, and they like to poke fun at the way the sailors of the other dialect speak. In fact, there is a sailor folk song, "The Paethsmouthers and the Avakaronians," written about the rivalry, and it is often sung in coastal taverns and bars by sailors of the respective sides. This song is detailed in the Sailor Songs and Sea Shanties section of this proposal.
Last edited by DemonAnastasi on Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 11 times in total. word count: 1076
Gom ranore, DemonAnastasi.
DemonAnastasi

Post by DemonAnastasi »

Sailor slang: Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

The other most immediately-relevant aspect of organized sailing in the Gordon Strait is the slang. Sailors are well-known for their unbridled tongues and strange ways of speaking, and there is an abundance of slang that sailors have developed over the many years that have unique meanings that are bound to be lost on uneducated landies. So to help you landies and prospective seamen, I've compiled an ever-growing list of slang terminology spat out by these seafaring spads, regardless of which port they're from!

Slang:
  • ahoy: hello. the sailor greeting, corrupted from an outdated Rigarian greeting. used regardless of language spoken, with only slight pronunciation differences depending on the accent of the sailor speaking. alternatively, used to identify the presence of something in the same vein as "ho," i.e. "Sailor ahoy!" (Sailor is there!)
    • derivatives:
      'hoy: 'ahoy,' but with first syllable omitted due to sailor slurring. may denote relaxation in the speaker or indicate that the speaker is in friendly/easy company. used in the same vein as 'hey.'
      'oy: another contraction of 'ahoy,' this time omitting the initial vowel syllable along with the subsequent stressed exhalation of breath to form the h-sound. very informal (even moreso for sailors), may be seen as impolite depending on the speaker's tone, but also may be seen as very friendly as it is often used in the company of dear friends. on top of being used as a more-informal greeting, it may also be used to denote indignation. used in the same vein as 'oi.'
  • "[X] ho!" used to identify the presence of something. often used by lookouts, almost always in combination with a ship direction for further description, i.e. "Ship ho off th'/tha port-bow!" ("I've sighted a ship to the front and left of our ship!")
  • mate: buddy/friend, derived from the term "crewmate." Used by sailors in referring to other sailors, but may also be used to refer to landie friends as well. If a sailor calls you mate, then consider it a significant gesture of friendship!
    • Confusion with first mates? No. Context is key. In referring to friends in the third person, one typically says "m'/ma mates," whereas when referring to a first mate in the third person, one would say "th'/tha mate." In referring to friends in the second person, one would say "mate," as whom you are addressing is inferred and obvious, whereas when referring to a first mate in the second person, one would say "sir/ma'am/ma'r," unless you want to get your eardrums blown clear to Lysium for being disrespectful, and calling them a "dandy" or a "dohi" to their face is a deaf sentence. Your choice, spad.
  • dandy: slang term for first mate, named such for the fancifulness of the very-formal first mate uniform with its white bell bottoms and coattails. neutral connotation, but can be used derogatorily.
  • chaking dohi (TL to Common: fucking loudmouth): derogatory slang for a first mate (or in some cases, another officer) who has a penchant for bellowing and/or whose diaphragm voice is exceptionally loud.
  • fried cicada/fried dohi: a first mate who has blown out their voice or gotten a sore throat from bellowing. often used to instigate more bellowing from the first mate in question, and therefore more pain.
  • sign one's deaf warrant: (Rigarian term) do something that results or could result in a first mate bellowing loudly.
  • deaf sentence: (Rigarian term) an action that results or could result in a first mate bellowing loudly.
  • insect bait: (Common term) an action, typically intentional, that results or could result in a first mate bellowing loudly or performing a desired action, or the person who performs the provocative action. also, someone who is a target of a first mate.
  • bully: "good" when used as an adjective, a fellow sailor ("mate") when used as a noun. i.e. "That's bully!" and "Looks like she's a rough one, bullies!" and "She's a bully (first) mate." an adopted landie word. landies use the term in noun form to refer to someone who mistreats or intimidates others, and in verb form to refer to the act of mistreatment or intimidation itself. originally, when sailors adopted this word, they used it to describe first mates, often referring to the deck officers as bullies due to their harsh ways. eventually, one sailor realized the reason why first mates act like hardasses sometimes and thought the effectiveness of the means by which the mate they were observing kept the crew in line (see also: First Mate Facade, Spectrum, and Tactics in the ship professions section of this proposal) was amazing, and soon the connotation of the word turned on its head from negative to positive.
  • landie (Common)/azgenfren (Rigarian)/'genfren (Rigarian, contracted): a non-sailor. you know, a landlubber?
  • dumbass landie (Common), dungiss azgenfren/'genfren (Rigarian): often muttered contemptuously under the breath of sailors when a passenger does something stupid (usually life-threatening and warranting a rescue) aboard a ship. as you can imagine, many sailors regard landies as idiots without a lick of common sense by default. may also be used when not at sea to refer to landies who aren't passengers of a ship.
  • landie-dandy: a recently-promoted first mate (or other officer) who is having difficulty handling the added responsibilities and stress of their new position and who possibly wants to return to the comfort of their home port. oftentimes used after the officer has had a mental breakdown.
  • dandy landie: a stuck-up non-sailor who thinks they're better than sailors. first mates can often let the power of their position go to their heads, hence why the use of dandy here as an adjective grants the meaning of stuck-up.
  • sailor up: toughen up, stick it out. sailors are very hardy, as their job isn't easy.
  • perish-rigged: rigged to die. "ill-prepared."
  • Cheon's Domain/Death: used to emphasize a question (i.e. "Why in Death," "How in Cheon's Domain") or as an expression of exasperation. equivalent to "X in the world?" This is a saying used by Hellbend and Anored Human landies, too. Like the saying "Muostas's Depths," this refers to a concept rather than a place, in this case referring to the concept of death itself. Sailors are well familiar with death due to the dangerous nature of their work.
  • Muostas's Depths!: an exclamation denoting surprise. Not referring to an actual place, but referencing the fact that Muostas is the God of the Ocean and that the ocean is regarded as belonging to him, therefore his depths. Used more by Avakaronian sailors than the phrase "Citah's Sake," which is favored in the Paethsmouther dialect.
  • Citah's sake: an exclamation denoting exasperation, less usually surprise. It is used far more often by Paethsmouther sailors than the similar exclamation of "Muostas's Depths," which seems to be favored by Avakaronian sailors.
  • Yeah~ Yeah~ (Rigarian)/Aye~ Aye~ (Common), Nah~ Nah~: easygoing way of saying "yes" and "no" when in friendly company, used by Paethsmouthers. These phrases are heard all the time in the Sailor's Junction.
  • blow me down: I'll be damned. used to express surprise ("Well, blow me down!") or determination to not let something happen ("--and blow me down if I let this vessel go off course."). originated in Common -- in Rigarian a direct translation is said.
    • variation: blimey: Common-language contraction of "blow me (down)."
  • that's sunk th'/tha ship: that's gone and done it. said when something bad happens, i.e. you're trying to pull a crate out from the bottom of a stack of crates and all the crates come tumbling down. alternatively may be said in a way acknowledging personal fault ("Now I've sunk th'/tha ship") or by an onlooker commenting on how much of a dungiss/dumbass you are for going and doing it ("Now you've gone and sunk th'/tha ship").
  • Belay!/B'lay!/Balay!: "Stop!" a command original to Organized Sailing, not adopted from the Lysium Military.
  • Belay/b'lay/balay (X): "Disregard (X)." "Belay/b'lay/balay my/m'/ma last" is used to retract an order, request, or statement. a freshie who speaks Common may think it's funny to say "Belay my ass" after farting until the first mate gets tired of their crap and says "B'lay/balay that fool/spad shit/avent b'fore/bafore I b'lay/balay y'r/yer ass/giss f'r/fer good!" or makes some other threat.
  • hally: halyard
  • freshie: a sailor new to organized sailing. this term conveys respect towards the person as a fellow sailor while acknowledging that they may still act like a dungiss/dumbass landie at times until they learn the ropes.
  • rounder: someone who's circumnavigated the whole of the continent of Winhem via boat. mad props to these folk.
  • straightliner: someone who's yet to circumnavigate Winhem via boat, especially someone who's only travelled to and from the major ports of Avakaron and Paethsmouth.
  • jack: Common-language slang term for 'sailor,' typically only used to refer to males. derived from the fact that many human sailors bear this first name, as it is a common human name. landies coined this term.
  • chak-jack: slang term for an Avakaronian sailor, regardless of gender, used especially by Paethsmouthers. derived from the Rigarian curse word 'chak' and the Common slang word for sailor 'jack.'
  • johnny: slang term for human sailors, regardless of gender, used by Hellbend sailors. derived from the fact that many human sailors bear this first name, as it is a common human name.
  • Shattered seacock!: an expression denoting surprise. (courtesy of Mizfortune, via Ravyr)
  • Safe seas and windward gales: an expression of well wishes, often used when parting ways with someone. "farewell." (courtesy of Mizfortune, via Ravyr)
Sayin's:

General:
  • Well, blow me down!: to express surprise
  • That scuttles the ship.: to remark on discovering information that complicates/makes worse a situation.
  • You're better off turnin' around and aimin'.: to say that someone is full of hot air or feeding you a line of bull.
  • There's too much season left at the end of the money.: to say that you're flat-broke.
Observations:
  • That one's all wind and no sails.: to say that someone is lazy or doesn't make good use of their time.
  • That one needs a barrelman in their crow's nest.: to say that someone is stupid or crazy.
  • They could scare the stray cats outta the fish market.: to say that someone is intimidating (high Cunning).
  • You'd give 'em a deck nail and two boards and they'd build a ship outta it.: to say that someone is resourceful (high Innovation).
  • That one'd get me in bed at 'hello.': to say that someone is charismatic (high Charisma).
  • Can't tell the difference between them and a dolphin.: to say that someone is an agile swimmer (high Athletics).
  • That one'd carry the whole ship on their back and not break a sweat.: to say that someone is strong (high Physique).
  • They could make bilgewater look like art.: to say that someone is artistic (high Artistry).
  • Give 'em a tightrope and they'll walk it with one toe.: to say that someone is nimble (high Dexterity).
  • They're like a rock in a cicada swarm.: to say that someone isn't phased easily by stressful situations (high Discipline).
  • That one could sneak a wake-up call past a first mate.: to say that someone is sneaky (high Espionage).
  • They could make a choir out of a flock of seagulls.: to say that someone is good with animals (high Husbandry).
  • That one could spot a fly on the helmsman's shoulder from the topsail yard.: to say that someone is observant (high Investigation).
  • Trying to get things past them is like trying to tell a first mate their uniform's black.: to say that someone can read people well (high Intuition).
  • Give 'em the helm in a patch of fog and they'll get the ship out of it within the hour.: to say that someone is an excellent navigator (high Survival).

This list is still in development, so stay tuned for more sailor-talk!
Last edited by DemonAnastasi on Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 13 times in total. word count: 2077
DemonAnastasi

Post by DemonAnastasi »

Uniforms: I'm looking for a navy suit for work.

General.
Hats may be worn and modified to fit one's horns, i.e. tilting the visor upward to accommodate horns on the forehead, having an open-top hat for tall or long horns extending over the top of the head, or cutting out space in the base of the hat and slipping a drawstring through loops around the base to secure the hat to horns jutting out from the side of one's head.

Weapons are not allowed to be carried or worn on ships for safety and security reasons. The only exceptions to this rule are masters-at-arms and first mates, who are directly involved in enforcing the laws of the ship and thus need to bear arms should a situation get out of control or in case of a pirate attack, and of course the captain, who oversees all operations of their ship. All crew members' weapons are stored in secure lockers in the master-at-arms's office by the brig, and officers store their weapons in their own quarters for ease of access in emergencies. Should the ship need to be defended from an enemy, the first mate will issue a call-to-arms to the crew and all weapons will be returned for the purpose of fighting off the threat.

Crew.
Sailors: anything goes, but have common sense. nothing that could get caught in something and strangle or otherwise hurt you. no jewelry, but exceptions may be made for snugly-fit articles such as chokers and wristbands and small earrings such as studs solely at the captain's and first mate's discretion. long sleeves are recommended regardless of season for sun protection out on the open water along with headwear for the scalp. dress for the weather: bring thick outer layers for cold temperatures and rainy weather and thin, air-circulating clothing for warm temperatures.

Stewards: Uniform aspects are only required when performing steward duties.
-galleywear: white chef's aprons and white chef's hats. worn while performing food preparation tasks.
-cabinwear: white maid's aprons and white bandannas worn on the head. worn while performing amenity-cleaning tasks.
No other uniform requirements save for the common sense guidelines for sailors.

Officers.
Ships' officers have uniform requirements ranging from very strict to relatively lax so that they are easily identified by crew and passengers.

Captain: Long captain's coat of any color besides white or gray (so they are not mistaken for first mates or bosuns) and captain's hat of matching color with black leather visor. Coat can be customized in fastening methods (buttons, zippers, number of buttons -- string fastenings around the collar are not allowed for the obvious reason of accidentally hanging oneself, but belts and other string-type fastenings are allowed below the arms). Hat must have an embroidered patch sewn at the center of the front bearing the design of their ship's flag for easy and accurate identification. Suspenders or belts are not required for lower garments so long as the apparel stays up around one's waist without need for adjustment (you're a captain, have some dignity and don't be a spad) and shirts must be tucked in. No other uniform requirements save for the common sense guidelines for sailors.
Captain's uniform examples

First Mate: First mates have the strictest uniform requirements. White first mate jacket. Sleeve length can range from one inch off the shoulder to two inches from the wrist. Collar design must have one lapel per side and the lapel can be no less than an inch from the outer edge of the shoulder or extend beyond the outer edge of the shoulder. Two to three belt loops around the waist of the jacket. Black belt of cloth or leather material no less than one and a half inches wide and no more than three inches wide with a gold- or gray-colored metal belt buckle, fastened snugly around the midsection (material does not have to be actual gold or iron, but must be a sturdy metal). Coattails must be no less than three inches in length (coattails begin at the top of one's pants), extend no further than an inch past the backs of one's knees, and can be of any design so long as the look remains smart. Forked coattails may have no more than one fork. Jacket may be customized with bands of color and other designs so long as the look remains smart and within the uniform color palette of white, black, gold, and gray -- a very dark navy blue is also an option for color. White or off-white collared shirt (must be tucked into pants). White first mate bell bottoms extending to the ankles (these are a REQUIREMENT and cannot be customized in any way, shape, or form). Black leather belt around the waist with a buckle of matching material and color to the buckle on the midsection belt. Black leather dress shoes -- must be shined. No other uniform requirements save for the common sense guidelines for sailors.
First Mate's uniform examples

Bosun (boatswain/bo's'n): Gray bosun's half-jacket. Sleeve length can range from wrist-length to sleeveless, and sleeves end in cuffs. A red armband worn at the middle of each upper arm. Bosun gray shirt, must be tucked in (sleeves: wrist length to sleeveless). Bosun gray pants of matching hue to the jacket with gray or black leather belt with iron buckle fastened around the waist. Toolbelt is required while working. Pants' sleeve length can range from at the knee to at the ankle. Steel-toed shoes or boots are required to protect the feet from falling equipment, and sturdy head protection is recommended. If protective headgear is worn, it must be bosun gray. When on land, a red neckerchief may be worn around the collar of the bosun's jacket or directly around the neck. No other uniform requirements save for the common sense guidelines for sailors.
Bosun's uniform examples

Master-at-Arms: Black leather torso armor in a vest style, and weapon used for law enforcement worn holstered/sheathed at the hip. No other uniform requirements save for the common sense guidelines for sailors.
Master-at-Arms's uniform examples

Doctor: White doctor's labcoat and white doctor's cap with head mirror. Only required when working in the medical bay or otherwise performing medical duties (emergencies are an obvious exception). No other uniform requirements save for the common sense guidelines for sailors.
Doctor's uniform examples

Chief Steward: Uniform aspects are only required when performing chief steward duties. No other uniform requirements save for the common sense guidelines for sailors.
  • galleywear: black chef's apron and white chef's hat with black band around the base
  • cabinwear: black maid's apron and black bandanna worn on the head
Chief Steward's uniform examples
Navigator: Khaki navigator's buttoned shirt. Khaki navigator's cargo shorts or pants.
Navigator's uniform examples
word count: 1759
DemonAnastasi
"Sailors' Festival": The Most Wonderful Time of the Year for Organized Sailors!

Post by DemonAnastasi »

"Sailors' Festival."

Rigarian: En Durvad el Taiass ("The Feast/Party of Sailors")
Common: Vellusalia ("sailor celebration")

Each year, the dockmasters of Avakaron and Paethsmouth set aside the final ten days of Fall as guaranteed* days off for all who sail the Gordon Strait shipping cargo and ferrying passengers to and from the two ports under the banner of Organized Sailing. This is a time of merriment, celebration, enjoying the season's harvest ashore, spending time with loved ones in one's home port, and relaxing before the hardest season for sailors to endure.

Note: The use of 'sailor' is used here as a general label for anyone who works in Organized Sailing, be they a sailor, a steward, or an officer, unless the distinct professions are explicitly mentioned.

Ten days ashore.
The dockmasters take great care in making the Fall shipping and ferrying schedule so that no work is scheduled on the final ten days of the season. *Of course, the ten days off are not always guaranteed, given that there are so many unknowns when it comes to braving the seas. Voyages are given an estimated end date of at least five days prior to the 81st so as to provide wiggle room for unknowns such as rough weather and pirate encounters, but are usually scheduled to provide more spare time than that -- one never knows what Muostas brings to the table, or who is sailing the Strait during that time.

The harshest season of the year.
Winter is the hardest season on sailors, and everyone for that matter. The difference is, sailors don't have a warm hearth, a cozy bed, or a comfy chair to enjoy while out on the Strait. So the idea of a holiday right before this harrowing time was conceived of necessity: morale is boosted when sailors are in a good mood and have had time to cut loose and relieve a year's worth of stress.

It is common for sailors to gather autumn foliage to take with them during their next several voyages after Fall is over so as to remind themselves that Winter won't last forever, and that the planet of Siliren has a beautiful balance in its seasons, regardless of whether they revere Angtas, the Old God, or neither.

Feasts and parties.
Being that Fall is the harvest season, sailors enjoy feasting, drinking, and partying with friends and family, sailor and landie alike. Gatherings sailors attend with landie loved ones might be more reserved and sober, whereas parties hosted by and for sailors are the epitome of pandemonium, the very definition of "eat, drink, and be merry." Absence of alcohol is a rarity, if it ever occurs. Songs of the sea are sung, and concerns about being too loud for neighbors are belayed (largely due to the alcohol). Dancing is boisterous and fun is the top priority. Sailors may not even bother taking their shared affections to closed quarters away from the party-at-large (again, largely due to the alcohol).

Whereas the Sailors' Festival is the most wonderful time of the year for sailors, it is sometimes the most horrible time of the year for landies, due to all the loud, drunken, party-fevered sailors painting their respective home ports red. In Avakaron, citizens near sailor parties during the Sailors' Festival often tell the sailors to knock it off if they're being too loud or rowdy and only get the Sect involved if the sailors' behavior doesn't domesticate after a few tries, while in Paethsmouth the townsfolk largely just go straight to the North Tawley Garrison to get the soldiers to try to establish order in the rowdy seamen.

But you must remember, you can't spell "rowdy" without "row"! And sailors do a lot of rowing!

Time with loved ones.
Sailors don't get much time at home, spending most of their days out at sea. They might live away from family and friends, who dwell further inland. It's common for the family of an Organized Sailor to save money the whole year just to afford to travel to their loved one's home port to spend time with them during the ten-day holiday -- ten days aren't enough time for sailors to travel to see family and get back themselves, unless their family lives in the next town over. Friends may also travel to the port to see their seafaring mates.

Enjoying quality time with loved ones is so important, particularly for sailors. A sailor lives a hard life, and these cherished moments will strengthen their spirit to keep going during the roughest of hours out at sea.

The Capsizing.
During the Sailors' Festival, ranks are not only belayed, but turned upside-down, or "capsized." Officers must perform the appropriate courtesies for sailors and stewards when those individuals enter their vicinity and must obey commands given by sailors and stewards, rather than the other way around as it is the rest of the year. It's a common sight in Avakaron and Paethsmouth during the final ten days of Fall to find people doing strange things such as stuffing leaves into holes in trees and giving the explanation of "I'm battening down th'/tha hatches!" or standing outside a tavern and giving the explanation "So-and-so ordered me to wait here until they got back from drinkin'" (with so-and-so possibly passed out drunk in the tavern).

To aid in the officers identifying their former crew, it is a tradition for sailors and stewards to wear a customary head covering this time of year: a full-brimmed cap, traditionally white so as to liken oneself unto a first mate (as first mates are the officers who interact most with the crew), with the brim turned up, so-called a "sail-cap" due to its resemblance to a small sailboat or the paper sailboats crafted by children. The sail-cap often has the flag of Organized Sailing sewn in miniature on the front so as to liken oneself unto captains (who bear the flags of their ships on the fronts of their hats). Some crew even purchase or make their own officer uniforms and dress up "to the tens," or for this special ten-day occasion (this practice is the origin of that sailor slang term) so as to be identified (the Maritime Law that forbids impersonation of officers is belayed during this time).

One common practice during The Capsizing is for officers to visit crew at their ashore residences and perform the boarding custom (come to attention, salute if outside, call "Permission t'/ta come aboard, sir/ma'am/ma'r!", await response). The crew member would then perform the customary reply ("Permission granted!" or "Permission denied!") and either invite the officer in or make them stay outside the residence. It is common for crew to forbid entry until the officer enacts whatever order(s) the crew member gives, typically a performance for the crew member's amusement. Once the officer is allowed entry into the residence, they present the crew with a gift, usually something small and of insignificant value such as a needle and spool of thread, alcohol, in-season fruits and vegetables, an article of clothing, or homemade goods such as pies. If the crew member is particularly endeared to the officer, the officer might give a gift of more significant value or meaning, be it a woodcarving, a painting, exquisite jewelry, or even a weapon. If the crew member would rather the officer not enter their residence, the gift is given at the door. During the visit, the officer and the crew catch up, reminisce on moments they've shared together, and talk about things on a level playing field without the rank hierarchy hanging over their heads. Hearts are often laid bare, and both parties receive feedback on their work and how they present themselves at work (the officer might say things they like about the crew member, while the crew member might mention a decision made by the officer that they thought was the wrong decision). Friendships frequently form during such visits.
Artwork depicting The Capsizing custom, featuring the sailor Currituck Itavi and the officer First Mate Russell Denver

The festivities do not end when Fall is over.
While the time of the Sailors' Festival may draw to a close when the sun rises on the first day of Winter, this is not the end of happy holidays; there is one final special occasion of the year. On the night of the Winter Solstice, aboard ships at sea, the entire crew of the ship, sailors and officers and all, gather together below decks to sing sailor songs together and keep each other warm by huddling close, often dancing and swaying with one another. Lanterns are lit, stories are told, and drinks are passed around to keep the tummies and hearts warm. Like on many other winter nights, sailors and stewards will lay out their blankets and cushionings on the floors of their respective quarters and sleep close together, and officers will either pick one of their quarters or sleep among the crew (the chief steward bunking in the steward quarters in the latter case, due to needing to administer their wake-up call before the first mate's wake-up call to the sailors in the sailor quarters).

To get through the longest night of the year, sailors rely on each other, just like they do every other day of the year.
word count: 1673
DemonAnastasi

Post by DemonAnastasi »

Professions on ships.

You are probably wondering after the previous section what the job descriptions of some of those positions are. Never fear, that's why I'm here! There are a number of professions found on ships, and I shall describe them herein. These positions are based in part off their real-life equivalents but with simplicity added, as well as a few creative spins, particularly in the case of the First Mates!

Crew (Unranked) positions found on all Organized Sailing ships:
The crew consists of the most important people on ships: the sailors and stewards. Without them, no voyage is possible.

Organized Sailor (Sr.): The Movers and Shakers
Profession classification: Sailor

Sailors are the reason the ship gets from Point A to Point B. They perform general tasks aboard ships under the direction of officers, chiefly under the direction of each ship's First Mate. Tasks include but are not limited to raising and dropping the anchor; hoisting and lowering sails; loading and unloading cargo; performing repairs under the direction of the bosun or first mate; performing lookout duty in the crow's nest; manning the helm; cleaning and maintaining the sailor quarters and other crew areas; and defending the ship and those aboard via use of the ship's cannons, personal weapons, or magic. Without sailors, the ship cannot move to make her assigned deliveries of cargo and passengers.

Organized Steward (Sd.): The Cooks and Cleaners
Suggested Profession classification: Steward
Suggested skill level for Profession: Unskilled
Suggested skills for Profession: Food Preparation, Investigation, Wilderness Survival: Ocean

Stewards are the reason those aboard stay happy and fed, and in the case of passenger ships, the reason the passenger areas stay clean. On all ships they perform galley duties such as food preparation and cleaning kitchen and dining areas as well as the general steward duty of cleaning and maintaining the steward quarters. On passenger ships they also perform cabin duties such as cleaning and maintaining passenger cabins and other passenger areas including the passenger dining hall. All tasks are performed under the direction of each ship's Chief Steward, and other officers generally will only assign stewards tasks related to their galley and cabin tasks (i.e. a doctor would pull aside a steward to fetch clean sheets from the linen closet in order to change the bedding in medical bay). Without stewards, morale would plummet and passenger areas would become unlivable.

Officer positions found on all Organized Sailing ships:
The officers of Organized Sailing, also called Specialized Officers, are professionals who specialize in certain areas of ship operations, be it personnel management, ship maintenance and repair, food and sanitation, navigation, crew and passenger health while underway, security aboard, or management of the entire ship.

Captain (Cpt.): The Leader of the Operation
Profession classification: Captain
Suggested requirements for promotion to Organized Captain from Organized First Mate: Reputation of 50 (Respected) with Organized Sailing.

The captains who work in Organized Sailing are the owners and operators of their own ships. A captain oversees all people and operations aboard their ship; they receive reports from their first mate about people-related topics, their bosun (first mate on a small ship) about maintenance-related topics, their chief steward about ration- and sanitation-related topics, their navigator (inapplicable on a small ship) about navigation-related topics, their doctor about topics relating to crew and passenger health, and their master-at-arms about security- and safety-related topics. They listen to the feedback and recommendations of their varyingly-specialized professionals and have the authority to make the final decision on any matter aboard their ship. Sailors and stewards may also report directly to the captain with concerns, comments, and questions, but crew members typically go to the first mate for such things, with the first mate relaying the message to their superior officer if necessary. A captain makes daily schedules for operations on a per-voyage (one-way trip) or per-cycle (time period in which a particular roster of crew is assigned to their ship -- typically two to three voyages in length) basis, from the sailor wake-up call in the morning to the final meal call in the evening. Their shore duties include signing off on cargo shipments at the dockhouses (in the case of cargo ships), reporting the arrival of passengers aboard their ship to the dockhouse in the port of destination (in the case of passenger ships), reporting any deaths or emergencies that occurred in the previous voyage to the dockmaster, and schedule any shore maintenance tasks reported to them by their bosun (first mate on small ships). The captain, being the leadership professional, brings the whole operation together.

A captain has the authority to establish rules specific to their ship so long as they are aligned with the overarching Maritime Law established by the Dockmasters (keelhauling may not be permitted even on a ship that allows corporal punishment, for example, as the practice was outlawed across the board in 183 AC -- see also the Maritime Law section of this proposal).

When a captain is first promoted to their position, they must obtain a ship of their own and register it with the dockhouse under a unique name and identification flag. Identification flags must have designs that are clear and easily-distinguishable from a distance; simple shapes and symbols are recommended, and no more than three colors may be used in the design of the flag (not including a dark color for lineart). The captain must pay a registration fee that covers printing costs (scribe and artist wages) upon registering their ship, and the captain may not embark on the maiden voyage of their vessel until the registration information about themself and their ship has been distributed by the dockmasters in leaflet form to all Organized Sailing captains. Often, a new captain will utilize this limbo period to scout around the ports for talent in order to build a strong officer roster. The dockhouses have information on which sailors and stewards have skillsets that qualify them for promotion, but a captain may select any person from within or outside of Organized Sailing to fill out their officer roster, so long as their First Mate and Navigator are ranking up from Organized Sailor, their Chief Steward is ranking up from Organized Steward, and that their officers can either perform the essential duties of their positions or receive training from the officers of other crews in performing the essential duties of their positions. If a person selected personally by a captain for promotion to First Mate, Chief Steward, or Navigator has previously worked as an Organized Sailor or Organized Steward but does not currently work in the required profession, they also qualify for promotion to said positions. Updated flagbooks of Organized Sailing ships registered with the dockhouses are issued to captains every five years.

On ships of Medium size, captains also perform the duties of navigators (detailed below).

To be promoted from Organized First Mate to Organized Captain, a PC must have skill points at the Artisan level in any of the skills listed for the Captain profession on the Professions page (Survival, Wilderness Survival: Ocean, Charisma) as well as a minimum of 50 Reputation points (Respected level) with Organized Sailing as a measure of the First Mate's good standing on the Strait. It is recommended that the First Mate PC's current captain present a letter of recommendation to the Dockmasters for the PC's promotion, but this is not required.

First Mate (F.M.): The Voice of the Captain
Suggested Profession classification: First Mate
Suggested skill level for Profession: Dedicated
Suggested skills for Profession: Survival, Wilderness Survival: Ocean, Charisma OR Cunning
Suggested skill requirement for First Mates in Organized Sailing specifically: Weapon: Any (Apprentice or higher skill level)

Ships' officers had a wide range of personalities? Yeah, In theory that made sense, but really it could be boiled down to the basics: officers who could sleep soundly amongst the crew and those who could find themselves at the aft-end of a mutiny.
-Ravyr Picaroon

The first mates who work in Organized Sailing on the Gordon Strait are in charge of the people on ships, be they crew or passengers. They are the right-hand people of their captains, and are the direct line of communication between captains and crew. They are the supervisors and see that the needs of crew and passengers are met, be they physical or emotional. To what degree a first mate provides emotional support varies from mate to mate. Some first mates take on a parental role with the crew of their captain's ship, while others act like drill sergeants in a military outfit, but most first mates adopt a mix of these two roles. A first mate's manner when interacting with the crew or passengers of a ship is largely dependent on how they present themself in their Facade (detailed below). In addition, First Mates issue the wake-up-call in the mornings and calls to arms in emergencies. During sea battles (the case for which a call to arms is issued), first mates give commands to the crew. Finally, a first mate makes task schedules for sailors in compliance with their captain's daily schedules.

On ships of Medium size, first mates also perform the duties of bosuns (detailed below), and such mates are authorized to own and use a Bosun's Call as a result.

The rank of First Mate is on par with that of Bosun, but first mates have authority to give orders to bosuns while bosuns do not have authority to give orders to first mates.

During training under the previous first mate of their soon-to-be-captain, a first mate-apprentice is taught how to bellow (yell and bark orders loudly from the diaphragm); taught about the Facade, Spectrum, and Tactics of mates on the Strait; taught the job duties of first mates on the size of ship they are to be first mate of; and given tips on how to soothe and maintain the voice -- sore throats and lost voices are common issues first mates face at work (hence the coinage of the slang term "fried dohi/cicada").

To be promoted from Organized Sailor to Organized First Mate, a PC must have skill points at the Dedicated level in any of the skills mentioned above. In-character reasons for promotion may differ, such as a Sailor being selected and promoted by a Captain who recognizes their talent, but the skillset of PCs is a requirement.

First Mate Aspects:
  • Facade:
    "Basically, th' first mate facade is a performance w' mates put on t' maintain discipline in th' crew."
    -F.M. Ailin Omurzakov of Bagira

The First Mate Facade is an Aspect unique to first mates of Organized Sailing. It is a personality first mates put on when interacting with crew and passengers, and is not the person's true personality. A first mate may have multiple Facades depending on whom they're interacting with -- first mates on passenger ships tend to dial down the Harshness of their Facades when interacting with passengers compared to when they're interacting with crew, for instance.
  • Spectrum:
    "Th' way we present ourselves in our facades boils down to what kinda leadership style we're goin' for. ... How 'bout you, Mr. One-fourth-horn? Are y' gonna go f'r more of a 'tough love,' 'give-no-quarter'-type deal, 'r more of a 'root-root-root f'r th' team' style?"

The First Mate Spectrum is the second Aspect unique to first mates of Organized Sailing. It refers to how a first mate presents themself in their facades in terms of the personality they put on. There are two spectrums in the collective First Mate Spectrum, referred to as "Facets," and the minimum point on each Facet's spectrum is 0 points while the maximum is 100 points. The Harshness Facet, pertaining to more of a "tough love"/"do it because I told you to" leadership style, is governed by the Cunning core skill, while the Supportiveness Facet, pertaining to more of a "friendly"/"do it because I want you to" leadership style, is governed by the Charisma core skill. Think Nature vs. Nurture.

• Harshness: Affectionately referred to out of character as "drill sergeant," this Facet refers to how strict, harsh, and unforgiving a first mate is with the crew and passengers aboard a ship. The CNPC Ishenbai Baltabaev is the prototype for this Facet.
    • Supportiveness: Affectionately referred to out of character as "cheerleader," this Facet refers to how supportive, nurturing, and encouraging a first mate is with the crew and passengers aboard a ship. The PC Currituck Itavi is the prototype for this Facet.
    Examples of first mates who score high on the Harshness spectrum and low on the Supportiveness spectrum include Ishenbai Baltabaev and Russell Denver.

Examples of first mates who score roughly in the middle of both the Harshness and Supportiveness spectrums include Ailin Omurzakov.

Examples of first mates who score high on the Supportiveness spectrum will include Currituck Itavi.

Examples of first mates who score high on the Supportiveness spectrum and low on the Harshness spectrum include Dastanku Dioppe.

It is possible for a first mate to score 100 on both spectrums, and I encourage anyone to sailor up to the challenge of writing such a mate!

Fun fact and writing tip: The reason the two Facet spectrums were conceived was to streamline creation of first mate characters. Just figure out where you want your first mate to be on both spectrums and boom! You've got a first mate ready for writing on ships! Make sure to flesh them out and make them actual people, though! A mate may drop their Facade at any time -- who are they behind the act?
  • Tactics:
    Baltabaev sure knows how t' scare sailors int' compliance.
    -Currituck Itavi

The final Aspect unique to Organized Mates on the Strait is First Mate Tactics. Tactics are the first mate's Facade put into action. It's one thing to put on the personality of a hardass or mother hen, but it's another thing to align what one does with one's facade of Harshness and/or Supportiveness. The Tactics are the Facade made manifest.

A first mate's Harshness may appear in Tactics such as invading personal space and making intense eye contact with sailors as more-or-less subtle encouragement to comply with orders being given and as a means to desensitize sailors to uncomfortable situations (F.M. Russell Denver's Tactic), changing one's expression and mannerisms quickly to bewilder and terrify as a means to encourage sailors to get their gisses/asses to work (F.M. Ishenbai Baltabaev's Tactic), and loudly beating an object against the floor, walls, and support beams of the sailor quarters while bellowing when giving wake-up calls (F.M. Russell Denver's Tactic).

A first mate's Supportiveness may appear in Tactics such as using a sing-song and enthusiastic tone when giving wake-up calls so as to instill a go-getting and positive attitude in sailors for the day ahead (Currituck Itavi's future Tactic), cheering on a struggling sailor to encourage them to keep going (F.M. Ailin Omurzakov's Tactic), and pulling sailors aside to evaluate their wellbeing and give pep-talks and guidance (Currituck Itavi's future Tactic).
Master-at-Arms (M.a.A.): Maritime Law's Second Line of Enforcement
Profession classification: Guard
Suggested skill level requirement: Initiate

He's witnessed Masters-at-Arms bonk aggressive, beyond-verbal-reason sailors over the head with their clubs and such to subdue them, so he tries mimicking what he's seen. ... Bonk! T' th' brig witch'!
-Currituck Itavi, The Truth in the Mud

The masters-at-arms of Organized Sailing are the security officers aboard ships. They man the brig, ensuring that incarcerated individuals remain incarcerated. When they don't have anyone in the brig to supervise, they perform patrols of the ship to make sure Maritime Law (see also the Maritime Law section of this proposal) and the unique laws of the ship are being followed. A master-at-arms works closely with their ship's first mate to enforce law and maintain order on their captain's ship, and in the case of sea battles, the master-at-arms communicates with the chief steward to evaluate whether or not the ship has the resources to support incarcerating prisoners taken in battle; if the redispersement of rations per person would result in too much of a hardship for the crew, then the crew of the opposing ship is left to fend for themselves after their defeat rather than being rescued and taken prisoner -- the practice of sparing the lives of those defeated in naval battles is inspired by the Hibicy Warriors in Hellbend history.

It is the responsibility of the master-at-arms to ensure all weapons are taken from sailors and stewards at the beginning of a voyage and returned at the end of a voyage. Weapons are kept in secure lockers assigned to each temporary crew member in the master-at-arms's office behind lock and key. Masters-at-arms are authorized to use physical force in subduing lawbreakers and unreasonable individuals, even if their captain has otherwise outlawed physical punishment on their ship.

Ship Doctor (Doc.): The Hand of Irtin
Profession classification: Medical

The doctors of Organized Sailing provide medical care to crew and passengers during voyages at no cost, as the crew must stay in ship-shape to continue working, and the price of any necessary medical assistance is factored into the cost of passage for passengers. Doctors are always trained in first aid at bare minimum, while most also study advanced medical procedures in order to further their careers and and improve their efficacy as medical professionals; what is most important is that those aboard receive initial care and can hang in there until the ship reaches port, where the patient can receive further medical attention for more dire circumstances such as needing surgery. The most advanced medical procedure typically performed by ship doctors is amputations of limbs.
By the evening, the doctor gives Currituck the go-ahead to return to his normal duties, and just in time for dinner! While the doctor expresses her concerns to the captain over Currituck possibly getting injured again, the captain assures her that there will be no risk of that happening again whatsoever -- something Currituck would discover for himself very soon.
-Narration, Trials at Sea

A crew member or passenger may go to the ship's doctor for any number of ailments, be it significant injury from physical punishment or a stubbed toe (the latter "ailment" is most likely to get one laughed out of the medical bay). Doctors make the call on whether a sailor can resume work or not and express concerns to their captains related to the health of a patient as well as inform either the captain, the first mate, or the bosun of conditions on the ship that would bar a sailor from returning to work, be it a specific individual, a particular piece of equipment, or something else.

Chief Steward (C.S.): The Head Chef and Head Maid
Suggested Profession classification: Chief Steward
Suggested skills for Profession: Food Preparation, Investigation, Innovation, Charisma

The chief stewards of Organized Sailing are in charge of all galley and cabin operations. Whereas the first mate oversees the work of sailors, the chief steward oversees the work of stewards; they also perform the stewards' wake-up call in the steward quarters, as the chief steward and stewards must wake up earlier than the first mate and sailors in order to prepare the first meal of the day.
  • Galley duties:
    A chief steward plans crew and passenger meals, assigns galley tasks to stewards including cleaning of the kitchen and dining areas, opens and closes down the kitchen, keeps inventory on rations, rotates stock, evaluates the condition of food stores, informs the bosun (first mate on small ships) of kitchen equipment needing repair, purchases new kitchen equipment as needed, and purchases more rations according to the needs of a voyage. Factors they consider when purchasing stock include the number of sailors and passengers aboard for a given voyage and how much stock was used in the previous voyage.
  • Cabin duties:
    Aboard cargo ships, a chief steward need only keep inventory on supplies in the ship's linen closet, inform the bosun (first mate on small ships) of supplies needing repair, and purchase new supplies such as towels and cleaning rags for the closet, as sailors and officers clean and maintain their own quarters. Aboard passenger ships, the chief steward also assigns cleaning tasks to stewards in passenger areas, evaluates the condition of passenger amenities based on steward reports, informs the bosun (first mate on small ships) of amenities needing repair, and purchases new amenities as needed.
Officer positions only found on ships of Large size:

Bosun/Bos'n/Boatswain (Bsn.): The Handyman
Suggested Profession classification: Bosun
Suggested skills for Profession: Engineering, Innovation, Artistry (Sewing specifically)
Suggested additional skill for Bosuns in Organized Sailing specifically: Musical Instrument: Woodwind (Bosun's Pipe/Call specifically)

"Now, if we were on a smaller ship, I'd also hafta be lookin' out f'r things like broken line 'r torn sails. ... But, since we ain't, th' bosun handles all that stuff. ... Bosuns're in charge a' all th' equipment and its maintenance."
The bosuns of Organized Sailing are the maintenance professionals on ships. Rather than keep an eye on people like first mates do, bosuns keep an eye on equipment. They check the condition of the ship and supplies on board, evaluate whether or not maintenance tasks need to be performed, and delegate maintenance tasks to sailors as needed. It is the responsibility of the bosun to keep inventory of all maintenance tools and supplies of their captain's ship and to purchase more when necessary. The bosun reports to their captain any repairs or replacements that they are unable to perform so the captain can schedule these maintenance tasks to be performed in port. When a call to arms is issued by the first mate, a bosun gets all their repair supplies at the ready and is nearby to evaluate and perform emergency repairs on any damage to the ship as it is dealt by the enemy ship's personnel. It is common for bosuns to wield pikes.
"Bellowin's fer first mates."
-Bsn. Mark Hershall of Titan's Whisper
Unlike first mates who use their voices to communicate, bosuns use small whistles known as Bosun's Calls or Bosun's Pipes in order to communicate over long distances and over ocean noises due to their lack of training in proper bellowing technique. The Call also serves as the bosun's badge of office, just like their red handkerchiefs. There are a number of combinations of sounds and sound durations on the Call that are used to convey different orders and messages.
  • The sounds and how they are formed:
    • Low pitch
      • Formed by piping with all fingers curled around call.
    • High pitch
      • Formed by piping with index finger and thumb curled around call and final three fingers raised.
    • Warble
      • Formed by alternating final three fingers between curled and raised positions while piping.
    • Trill
      • Formed by fluttering tongue on roof of mouth while piping.
  • The sound durations:
    • "Two-step"
      • Held for the amount of time it would take to say two syllables while speaking at an easy pace.
    • "One-step"
      • Held for the amount of time it would take to say one syllable while speaking at a fast pace, a.k.a. for but an instant.
  • The calls:
    (Please note that, at this time, this subsubsection remains incomplete. Stay tuned as I formulate and incorporate more calls!)
    • Attention
      • Low two-step, high one-step.
        (Listen up; a command or message is about to be given.)
    • Carry on
      • Warble (x3)
        (Resume what you were doing previously.)
    • To me!
      • Low one step, low one step, high two step (x2)
        (Indicated sailor(s) or steward(s), come here.)
        The Attention call is piped first for this call. The bosun or first mate would then indicate the specific sailor(s) or steward(s) by calling out to them vocally if necessary, and then pipe the To me call.
    • Superior officer, to me!
      • Low one step, low one step, high two step (x2), low one step, low one step, high one step, high one step, low two step
        (I need to speak with the first mate or captain at once.)
        The Attention call is piped first for this call.
      (The bosun faces starboard and pipes out a few notes on her call and waits.
      The bosun pipes out the same string of notes as earlier.
      "They ain't r'spondin' t' m' calls." "'Course they ain't. They don't know shit 'bout sailin', their aim an' organization is shit. Probably don't even got a bosun.")
On ships of Medium size, the first mate performs the duties of bosun as well as their universal duties.

Navigator (Nav.): The Gordon Strait Positioning System
Suggested Profession classification: Navigator
Suggested skills for profession: Survival, Wilderness Survival: Ocean, Meteorology, Decryption, Vehicle: Nautical

The Navigators of Organized Sailing are in charge of plotting the courses of ships and keeping in communication with helmsmen (the sailors who man the wheel) and barrelmen (the sailors who perform lookout duty in the crow's nest) so as to maintain awareness of obstacles, storms, and other threats to the ship's progress in a given voyage at all times, making decisions and giving navigational orders to those steering the ship. They calculate estimated travel times for voyages down to the day and continuously update their estimates based on the external factors previously mentioned in this subsection. Navigators remain in direct communication with the captain and give reports on the ship's progress as well as advisories of which action to take next; the captain then either approves their suggested course of action, requests further information/investigation, or vetoes the recommendation and proposes a different course of action. The two officers discuss until both come to an agreement or the captain orders the navigator to enact a certain decision. A navigator largely makes navigational decisions on their own, but in the case of a recommendation to stop the ship, the Navigator MUST report to the captain for the final decision on the matter.

On ships of Medium size, the captain performs the duties of navigators as well as their universal duties.

The Rank Hierarchy

Taking inspiration from the Lysium Military, Organized Sailing possesses a rank hierarchy; however, unlike the Military's way of organizing its hierarchy with one position per tier, Organized Sailing ranks multiple positions in the same tier.

"CSO" stands for "Chief Specialized Officer," "SO1" stands for "Specialized Officer First Class," and "SO2" stands for "Specialized Officer Second Class."

Rank Position
CSO Captain
SO1 First Mate, Bosun
SO2 Chief Steward, Navigator, Doctor, Master-at-Arms
N/A Sailor, Steward

When mourning the loss of crew or officers, mourning flags are hoisted in the inverse of this hierarchy: sailors and stewards would be represented at the top of the halyard while a captain would be represented at the bottom of the halyard (see also the Death at Sea section of this proposal).
word count: 4613
DemonAnastasi
Re: (WIP) Organized Sailing: Culture, Customs, and More

Post by DemonAnastasi »

Signal Flags.

Organized Sailing ships and even vessels not affiliated with Organized Sailing communicate with each other and with the shore via signal flags. The colors and designs of the signal flags have been developed and revised many times over the years to ensure that all sailors can distinguish the flags from a distance regardless of their ability to see color.

The flags.

Flag Meaning Flag Meaning
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I need assistance. Image I am here to assist.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image Yes. Image No.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image Communicate with me. Image Stop what you are doing and watch for my signals.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image Request permission to send someone aboard.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I have sent personnel aboard another vessel. Image I have personnel from another vessel aboard.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image Altering course to port. Image Altering course to starboard.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image Keep clear. Image Man overboard!
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I have personnel aboard who are sick with contagious disease. Image I am dragging my anchor.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I am disabled.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I am in need of medical assistance. Image I am in need of medical assistance for depletion.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I have sustained damage. Image I have sustained damage from a Rigenic source.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I am on fire. Image I am on fire from a Rigenic source.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I have recently encountered a storm. Image I have recently encountered a Rigenstorm.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I have sustained damage from a storm. Image I have sustained damage from a Rigenstorm.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I have recently encountered a sonic gull. Image I have recently encountered pirates.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I need food. Image I need supplies.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I need medical supplies.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I have recently been in combat. Image I have recently been in combat and casters were among the opposing personnel.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I have recently been in combat and have injured personnel aboard. Image I have recently been in combat and have taken prisoners aboard.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image I have recently been in combat and have sustained damage.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image STATE OF EMERGENCY: Sinking. Image STATE OF EMERGENCY: Sinking from Rigenic source.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image STATE OF EMERGENCY: Call to Arms. Image STATE OF EMERGENCY: Lockdown.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image STATE OF EMERGENCY: Storm. Image STATE OF EMERGENCY: Rigenstorm.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image STATE OF EMERGENCY: Sonic Gull Sighting.

When communicating with other ships and with the shore, the appropriate signal flags are hoisted aloft on the ship's halyard on her main mast on a secondary line reserved for signaling. In addition to being used for this line of communication with outside entities, the flag signaling system is also used within the ship as a means of communication between personnel. Most hand flags used for communication within the ship have different meanings attached to their designs from their halyard-hoisted counterparts, while the meanings of others remain the same.

The hand flags.

Flag Meaning Flag Meaning
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image Command: Attention. Image Command: Carry on.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image Command: To me. Image Command: With me.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image Helm command: Alter our ship's course to port. Image Helm command: Alter our ship's course to starboard.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image Oar deck command: Port oars, UP. Image Oar deck command: Starboard oars, UP.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image ~~~ Image ~~~
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Image ~~~ Image ~~~

Belay the contents of this spoiler; it is for my reference.
word count: 554
DemonAnastasi
Re: (WIP) Organized Sailing: Culture, Customs, and More

Post by DemonAnastasi »

If anyone happens by this section in its current state, please bear with me -- this is a lot of big-brain work that I'm still figuring out.

Organized Sailing Ship Types:

The type of ship used in Organized Sailing is known in Rigarian as ne berothyntai and in Common as the sail-and-oar. There are two models of berothyntai/sail-and-oar: a smaller model designed for speed and a larger model designed for capacity. Ne berothyntai/a sail-and-oar has two masts -- the foremast forward and the mainmast aft -- while either model has slightly different rigging. Each berothyntai/sail-and-oar has the same layout with minimal variation so as to not confuse sailors and stewards from cycle to cycle; the most variation is found between the cargo and passenger variants of each model, but since Organized Sailors work within the realm of either cargo or passenger ferrying operations and only work in the other operation in the case of a transfer, this is a non-issue. Every berothyntai/sail-and-oar bears an artillery of cannons housed on her gun deck and a ram on her bow beneath the water for defense, a series of oars stowed and manned on her oar deck for added speed and maneuverability via manpower, and an Eye a' Citah beneath the waterline either side of her prow for safe travels (although a captain may deem this design Eyes a' tha/th' God if they worship the Old God rather than the Anorian Gods, or simply view it as a good luck charm without any theistic affiliation).

Draft and freeboard measurements are given when the vessel is unladen with cargo or passengers.

Berothyntai Wyst/Large Sail-and-Oar:
Tonnage (weight): 375 (laden at full capacity)
Cargo carrying capacity: 300 tons
Length (stem to stern):
Beam (width):
Draft (waterline to keel):
Freeboard (gunwale (upper edge of a boat's side) to waterline):

Complement: 75 sailors, 26 stewards, and 7 officers
Rigging:
Oars: 24 (12 oars per side)
Artillery: 18 (9 guns per side)
Speed:
  • Average unladen:
  • Top speed unladen:
  • Average laden:
  • Top speed laden:
Currituck and the rest got the berothyntai filst up to her top sailing speed of around six knots quickly and then boosted her speed to around eight knots with both sail and oar during that short burst.
Speed boosting: by putting sailors on the oars, speed is boosted by 2x fully-manned or 1.5x half-manned at the risk of exhausting rowers. An officer can push the sailors in short bursts of no longer than 20 minutes (officers usually only do 15) at a time before exhausting their oarsmen, and this time is halved if a shift of oarsmen has rowed in alternating turns with another shift for half the workday.

Berothyntai Filst/Small Sail-and-Oar:
Tonnage (weight): 250 (laden at full capacity)
Cargo capacity: 200 tons
Length (stem to stern):
Beam (width):
Draft (waterline to keel):
Freeboard (gunwale (upper edge of a boat's side) to waterline):

Complement: 50 sailors, 17 stewards, and 5 officers (no bosun or navigator aboard)
  • Additional requirement: the complement must consist of at least five crew members who have combat casting ability and at least one officer who has combat casting ability.
Rigging:
Oars: 16 (8 oars per side)
Artillery: 12 (6 guns per side)
Speed:
  • Average unladen:
  • Top speed unladen:
  • Average laden:
  • Top speed laden:

The wyst's numbers are basically 1.5x those of the filst.

Boat and ship size classification.

The Upkeep page of the site lists a boat and three sizes of ship as items for which upkeep is taken into account. I hereby propose the following perameters for classification of water vessels for the sole purpose of calculating price and upkeep:

Ship, large:
Length: 131 ft or more
Draft: N/A
Examples of vessels that fit this category: berothyntaii wyst, barques, brigs, and brigantines.

Ship, medium:
Length: between 84 ft and 131 ft
Draft: 30 feet or more
Examples of vessels that fit this category: berothyntaii filst,

Ship, small:
Length: between 36 ft and 84 ft
Draft: 30 feet or more
Examples of vessels that fit this category:

Boat:
Length: less than 36 ft
Examples of vessels that fit this category: berileni, rowboats, canoes, gondolas

~~~

Sources:
Tall ships explained (refer specifically to Brigantine, Schooner, and Tall Ships Organized by Class): https://www.sailboston.com/2016/12/tall ... explained/
Brig: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brig
Early Sailing Ships: https://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~vaucher/H ... index.html
History of ships: https://www.britannica.com/technology/s ... y-of-ships
Restaurant staffing: https://www.gofoodservice.com/blog/how- ... restaurant
Galley logistics on a navy ship: https://www.stripes.com/news/what-does- ... s-1.527749
word count: 791
Locked Previous topicNext topic