Avakaron(Complete) Reading Rainbowsprit

The Hellbend city on the northern shore of Winhem.
Currituck Itavi

(Complete) Reading Rainbowsprit

Post by Currituck Itavi »

10th of Spring, 321 AC. 8:07 a.m.

The snowstorm had chaked with Currituck's normal job as a sailor, and he'd be stuck ashore until conditions cleared up. He'd taken up a job at The Swords and Sandals for fun and profit in the meantime, but sex work is only so many hours a day, far less than what he's used to, being on a ship for over a week at a time in some cases with limited things to do in the small amount of free time he gets. To contrast, there's so much to do in Avakaron, and he has so much free time now! He doesn't know what to do with himself!

So he'd been learning and practicing a few unarmed combat techniques over the course of the past few days. But now that his lessons are complete in that area, what is this young sailor boy t' do, m' Johnnies?

Why, improve his understanding of the Common language, of course!

Currituck is waiting with bated breath. His dad had gotten up a little earlier to make the family breakfast (Currituck was still the first to rise, of course) and after the meal he went out to get the books and such for their Common lessons today. His mom went to spend the morning and early afternoon with a friend. Lil' 'tuck cannot simply sit still at the kitchen table while he waits for his dad to get back -- he's used to being up and at 'em, working like a madman at this happy hour of 8:09 a.m. So he donned his glasses and tasked himself with cleaning the kitchen so his folks could attend to their other business directly.

And you know Currituck's definition of clean is spotless.

Our short friend the perfectionist swab~ swab~ swabs~ the dishes and cutlery. He swab~ swab~ swabs~ the table. The counter, the dishwashing basin, the stove, the chairs, the floor...

NOTHING IS SAFE FROM CURRITUCK'S CLUTCHES OF CLEANLINESS!

Cleanliness is next to captainliness, as Currituck says.

When has he said that?

Who knows. He just has.

Currituck wipes the sweat from his brow and looks upon his work. Does this cleanliness meet his standards? It's difficult to tell, even with his glasses on. So he goes over everything again. Table~ Table~ Table~ Table~ He eyeballs the surface of the table now. It resembles the decks of ships after he's swabbed them, so he reckons it's okay. He does the same with the chairs until their wood looks like freshly-swabbed decks. The stove, uhh... He's never gone behind the scenes in galleys, and this iron stovetop is black all over, even after he scrubbed it the first time. He scrubs it again for good measure. The dishes, he made sure to get the food remains off, but he didn't wash the cast iron pan, as his dad said that's a no-no. The dishes look fine. Oops, wait, he missed something. Currituck takes the fork, opens the nearest window, and thumps the bit of egg outside. Then he swishes the fork around in the water basin and plops it back down onto the dishrack to dry. Then he closes the window. Disaster abated. Finally, let's look at these floors again. Ships don't have limestone floors, so Currituck is unsure what constitutes clean for this surface, and he isn't home enough to be familiar with the end product of his parents' cleaning. Tercer, let's whip out the elbow grease and do it again! Swab~ Swab~ Swab~ Phew! He looks over everything again. Looks good! His perfectionism is pleased, but his mind is fatigued. He at long last sets the sponge down, his work concluded, and he hears the doorknob of the front door twist. Pop's home! He turns to face the door as it sounds its telltale creak upon being opened.

"I'm back, Tuckibuck. I got the--"

Sopubek Itavi stops and stares at the shiny scene before him, a bundle of books and papers cradled in his right arm. His jaw drops and his brows furrow. He slowly looks over at his son.

"Got busy while I was gone, huh?"

"Yes, sir!" he answers with a proud grin. Currituck likes to call his mom and pop ma'am and sir. His folks thought it strange at first, but they accepted it as just another thing that Currituck does.

The corners of ol' Pop's gaping mouth curl up a bit. "I about don't wanna set foot in here." Is it really that good? Or are you saying that because everything's so wet? Sopubek looks down at his feet. "Lemme take my shoes off--" He slips each shoe off with the opposite foot and leaves the foot coverings at the door. "Where'd ya leave the mop hanging up?"

"Th' mop?"

"Yeah. You mopped the floor, right?" He shifts the books and papers into his left arm and points around at the floor with his right index finger.

"I didn't use th' mop, I used th' sponge," he says, pointing to the darkened sponge he left by the sink.

Sopubek's jaw drops and his brows furrow again, this time to a more drastic degree, craning his neck in shock as well. He slaps his right palm onto the side of his face and closes his eyes. "You mean to tell me--" He opens his eyes and gestures to Currituck. "--that you got down on your hands and knees--" He waves his arm in a sweeping motion, gesturing to the floor. "--and cleaned ALL THIS with a chakin' SPONGE?!?!?!?!!"

"That's how we do it on ships, Pop." Currituck takes his glasses off.

His father pauses, then laughs. "Ohh~ Lemme take my socks off, they're gettin' all soggy. Here--" He holds the bundle forward in an offering gesture and Currituck steps carefully over to take it from him. "Careful, floor's slippery," his pop advises. Currituck takes the bundle and sets it down on the table while his dad removes his socks and places his bare red feet on the wet floor. He grimaces down at his tootsies. "Ew, soggy feet." He shrugs and sighs, smiling. "Price to pay for clean floors." He closes the front door behind him and steps towards the table. "Thanks again, Tuc-KY--!!" Sopubek loses his balance briefly on the slippery limestone. Currituck reaches out his hand but his dad grabs the back of the nearest chair and saves himself. He pants for a second. "Hoo! Ohh, I'm gettin' too old for this..." He slides his giss down onto the seat of the chair that saved it from stony pain; Currituck takes the next seat over. The kitchen table is small and round and is pushed up flush with the wall, having three seats: two facing each other and one facing the wall. Sopubek is slouching in the chair nearest the door and Currituck is sitting up straight in the chair facing the wall.

"Alright Tucky, you ready for some Common?"

"Chak yes!"

"Chak yeah, let's do some Common!"

Sopubek brings the stack of books and papers closer to him and takes off the top book, a children's book, and removes some sheets of paper he'd slipped between the pages. "Do you need a refresher on phonics?"

"I think so, yeah." Currituck knows a few Common words (many of them curse words), and one of the few complete sentences he knows how to say is 'Hello. I'm Currituck Itavi, a sailor,' but he can't remember some of the phonetics of this second language -- most of his scant knowledge comes from his sailing career aboard mixed-race ships and poking around Paethsmouth. Sopubek goes through the loose papers and slides a sheet with Common characters written on them and how each character and group of characters is pronounced beneath them in Rigarian.

"This one is pronounced 'ah,'" his father says, pointing to the first character in the 'Vowels' section of the phonics sheet. The way he pronounced the character is like the 'o' in 'on.' "Like our 'ah.'" He pronounces the syllable like the 'a' in 'at.'

"Yeah, like how Paethsmouthers speak. 'Ah,'" Currituck pronounces in the Common phonetic. "Common's th' dominant language there."

"Oh yeah, I've heard some sailors talk like that before, yeah."

Currituck continues going over the phonics worksheet with his dad, pronouncing the sounds. Some sounds are harder to make than others due to them not having a Rigarian equivalent, but with more practice, his tongue, mouth, and throat will get used to shaping themselves to render the phonetics.

After the phonics refresher, Currituck's dad slides the children's book over. The front cover has a picture of a human boy looking over a fence at a small horse. Sopubek points at the title of the book. "Read the title." Currituck studies the foreign characters and opens his mouth:

"'Poh-nee of Toh-nee...' So 'Tony's...'" He looks at his dad and points to the first word of the title. "What's that word?"

"I'll let you figure it out yourself as you read it, it's easy to get."

"Ooh!" Currituck shakes his fists gleefully for a short time and looks down at the book again. His father points at some strange strings of syllables at the bottom of the cover. "What's this say?" asks Pop. Currituck squints his eyes. These characters don't look like words, save for the first word. His brain wraps around itself trying to figure it out. "Sound it out."

"By Ah-ah-run... Su-miss... Suh-mith... Smith!" He turns to his dad excitedly. "That's their name, ain't it? Th' author's name, Ah-ah-run Smith!"

"Uh-huh! But his first name is pronounced 'Aaron.' See how the ah's are together like that?" He points to the first two characters of the name. Currituck nods. "Yes, sir." "When ah's are together, they're pronounced like one ah." "Ah." Currituck's eyes widen and he giggles at how he said the Common syllable as a manner of conveying recognition. "And 'Smith,' ain't that th' Common word f'r blacksmith?" "Sorta -- it means any sort of smith, like a weaponsmith, bladesmith, y'know." "Ahh, okay."

Sopubek opens the book to the first page of the story, skipping past the copyright and title crap. "Read it out."

Currituck wiggles his lips. "Wun-ss there was a boh-ee named Tony, hoo...who wan-te-d...a poh-nee." He glances at the artwork on the page opposite. The boy, Tony, is looking at a small horse in a pasture. Currituck slowly moves his finger onto the horse. "...Poh-nee?" "That's right." Currituck grins. "So 'pony' means 'baby horse,' right?" "No, it's just a smaller horse, that's a full-grown adult pony in the story." "Ohh, so I'm a pony!" "Hahaha, yeah~ My pony Tuckibuck!" Currituck starts imitating horse noises, neighing and blowing air through his lips and shaking his head, making his father and himself laugh more. He continues reading as his giggles subside.

"So he weh-n-t to his muh-zzir and seh-yid--"

"Said."

"Sehhd...'May I havv a pony?' And his muh-zzir-- ther...said--"

Currituck turns to the next page. The accompanying artwork shows Tony with a human woman in a traditional human kitchen. The woman looks firm, like she's refusing him sweets or something, and Tony looks disappointed.

"'No, Tony, you may not have a pony.'" Currituck's eyes linger on the human woman, not with lust, but with recognition.

"Mother..." He flips back to the previous page. "So Tony wants a pony but his mom won't give him one." "Mm-hmm." Currituck looks over some of the words on the first page. "...Wanted a pony..." He turns back to the third page and continues: "So he went to his fah-ther and said, 'Fah-ther, may I have a pony?' And his fah-ther said--" He stops, focusing on the word fah-ther. He points at it. "That must be his dad," he guesses. Sopubek smiles but neither confirms nor denies his son's hypothesis. Currituck flips to the fifth page. On the sixth page is a picture of Tony speaking to a human man in a traditional human den. The man seems to be refusing him the pony as well. "No, Tony, you may not have a pony." The Common words roll off his tongue a lot more smoothly now. Currituck looks at the man and a huge grin on his face. He puts his finger aggressively on the man's hand-drawn face. "That's his dad! I knew it! I knew it!" "You did!" Currituck curls in on himself and kicks his feet and shakes his fists with stimmy glee. "Ahh!" "Except the word father has a more formal connotation than dad, like our word father. 'Dad' would be the Common equivalent for 'dad' or 'pop.'" "Yes, sir. So cool!" Currituck sits up straight and calms himself, then continues reading:

"So he went to his gr-ah-n-pee and said, 'May I have a pony, Gr-ah-n-pee?'" "Pronounce it as one syllable: 'Grahn.'" "Grrrahn-pee." It was a little difficult. Currituck proceeds: "And his grrrahn-pee said--" He flips the page. This page's artwork features Tony speaking to an elderly human man, who is reading a book while sitting in a chair outside. The man is frowning. Tony looks sad. "''No, Tony, I-mm not givv-ing you a pony.' Tony was sahd." Currituck frowns sadly. "He's sad because no one'll give 'im a pony." "Mm-hmm. But keep reading." He looks at the next sentence and finds another word with a similar string of difficult phonics. But he's determined to pronounce it right! "So Tony went to his grr...grahmm-ee and said, 'Will you givv me a pony, grahmmee?' And his grammee said--" Currituck turns to the final page of the book. The artwork pictures Tony hugging an elderly human woman outside in a pasture, beside the pony who was pictured earlier. Tony, the woman, and even the pony are all smiling.

"'Yes, Tony, I will give you a pony!'" Currituck beams for Tony. "Tony was hap-pee!" He turns to his dad. "Tony got his pony!" "Yep! Don't'cha love happy endings?" Currituck grins, then points to the old woman and flips the page back and points to the old man. "Who're these people?" "This is his grandpa and that's his grandma," Sopubek says, flipping the page accordingly. "Granpy and Grammy," Currituck remarks. "Mm-hmm. But those are more informal pet names for grandma and grandpa. Like our auntie instead of aunt." "Ohh!" Currituck flips over to the back of the book and looks at the description. "Tony wants a pony. Will his fah-muh-lee give him wun?" His father repeats in Rigarian: "Tony wants a pony. Will his family give him one?" "Ohh, 'family!' That's the word for 'family'!" "Mm-hmm!" "You, me, n' mom're 'family'!" Currituck points in reference to the family members, save for his mom, who is not present at present. "Right! We're 'family'!" Currituck shakes his fists and grins more.

"Wanna take a crack at reading something more advanced?" Sopubek asks.

"Damn right!" Currituck answers in a mixture of Common and Rigarian.

"Anchors aweigh, then!"

Sopubek moves his hands to the stack of books. Which will he select this time?
Last edited by Currituck Itavi on Wed May 05, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 7 times in total. word count: 2626
Currituck Itavi

Re: (Solo) Reading Rainbowsprit

Sopubek takes another book from the stack: this one is a little thicker than Pony of Tony. Currituck examines the front cover. The artwork on the front features two human men standing near a lake; the man nearer the lake is carrying a net and a rod and wearing a fishing hat while the man further from the lake is holding a bucket with white stuff in it and wearing a straw hat.

"This story is meant to teach human children the history of how Lysium went from a fishing society to a livestock farming society," Currituck's father explains.

"Ooh, I didn't know that."

Currituck looks at the title.

"The...Fee-sher-man and the..." He wriggles his tongue and flexes his lips and tries to sound the next strange word out in the Paethsmouth accent: "Herrrrrrr-duh-zz-man," exaggerating the 'er' sound. He looks down at the text beneath the title. "By...Rah-buhn Rah-buhn-son!" He looks up at his dad. "Like m' buddy Terry. 'xcept they're a Johnson." Sopubek nods. Currituck looks back down upon the cover and runs his fingers over the words again. "The Feeshurrman-- FEHSHurrman and the Herrrduhzman. The Fehsherman and the Herduzman. The Fesherman and the Herdzman." He nods. He thinks he gets it. "By Rah-buhn Rabunson. Rabun Robunson. Robin Robinson."

"Good job, Tucky!" Currituck beams. "But work on your pronunciation of these nouns--" Sopubek points at the two words in the title that gave Currituck a hard time. "--they'll come up a lot throughout the story, so you'll get plenty of practice." "Yes, sir!"

Currituck opens the book (skipping past the copyright crap) and is met by a small picture of the man in the fisherman hat standing by the lake near other people with hats and nets on the top half of the first page and a block of Common text beneath it. Oh boy. It's a little overwhelming. Most of these words he's never seen before. But he's got this!

"A fesherman livv-duh by the Guh..." He squints his eyes and cranes his neck in attempt to get his brain to separate the Common squiggles into individual characters. "Guh-rahn-ss-ing Gai-ahnt--"

"Giant."

"JAI-ahnt?!"

"Yep."

"Why??!??!"

Sopubek shrugs. "Common's weird like that."

Currituck's brow is tightly furrowed. Common sure is weird! All these letters that sound like other letters. Why can't it be sharp and simple like Rigarian?

Stop complaining and read, you dravent.

The little sailor wiggles his tush in his chair and scans the words to pick up where he left off. "A fesherman livv-- lived-- by the Guh-rahn-ss-ing Gi-ahnt Ray-kuh."

Sopubek points to the words of the proper noun that Currituck had been pronouncing with r-sounds. "Okay. See this character here?"

"Yes, sir."

"It's pronounced with more of an L sound. Glancing Giant Lake."

"Guh-lllancing Giahnt Lllayk."

"Mm-hmm."

Currituck keeps going: "He fesh-d awl day-ee so zzat karon--" Oops, he slipped some Rigarian in there. At least he knows what this word means! "--people could eat." Currituck taps his right cheekbone and moves the left corner of his mouth. "What's wrong?" Sopubek asks. "Hardly understand any a' this avent." "It's okay. I'll explain everything once you're done reading." "Mm-hmm."

"The...people-grrrr...groop was summmm-awl...and the feshermehn could...fee-duh...them awl."

His brain's starting to hurt.

The next page is no easier. The picture showing the fisherman loading a massive catch of fish into his boat helps, though. "The fesherman kaw-gut--"

"Caught."

"It's silent?!??!?"

"Yyyep."

"Tercer!!"

Currituck huffs frustratedly.

"The fesherman CAUGHT a laht of fesh. The layk was guud for the people-groop. The people lived wehll." He squints his eyes shut and rubs his forehead. "Okay. So this means 'fisherman'--" He points at fisherman. "--and this means 'fish.'" He points at fish. Currituck rubs the side of his face.

"Do you need to take a break?"

"No!" Currituck sits up straighter stubbornly. "I c'n do it."

"Alright. Just checkin', Tuckibuck." Pop massages Currituck's back. Currituck stares at the block of text on the second page, then flips to the third. This page's artwork shows a bunch of humans with the fisherman. They don't look like they're in a good mood. "Suun mohr people caym to the layk. Zzere wur wahr-ree-yores and herdzmen-- herdsmen and mohr feshermen. Zzee-- THE--" Currituck puts his hand on his face and closes his eyes. Reading this story is so difficult that he mispronounced a word he knew how to pronounce. He's getting overwhelmed. He cuts his eyes down at the words on the page. "...The lake could-uhnt feed zzem--" Currituck slings his fists downward and scrunches his face. "RRRMGH!!!" That's ANOTHER word he knew how to pronounce! And he mispronounced it!

"Are you sure you don't need a break, Currituck?"

"I don't wanna take a break!"

"But do you need to, is what I'm asking."

Currituck stares down at the block of Common nonsense. There's a wall in the way in his head, like that time Baltabaev kept screaming at him when he kept screwing up when mending The Gaudy Verse's sail. The characters are jumbling together with one another in his head. He can hardly make sense of them.

"Let me finish this sentence."

"Okay."

Currituck puts his fingers over the lines of text so as to isolate the sentence he's trying to read. "......The. Lake. Could-uhnt. Feeduh. THEM. ALL." He slams the book shut and covers his eyes with his hands. Sopubek gets up from his seat, resting his palm on Currituck's left shoulder gently. "Hey, you go take it easy in the living room, I'll make ya some tea." He walks off into the kitchen proper -- this galley was more of a dinette within the kitchen than a dining room. Currituck presses his hands harder into his face, relieving his stress through the pressure, and stands up and goes into the living room, only unobstructing his gaze enough to see where he's going. Once he makes it to the couch, he closes his eyes back, feels the couch's location with his hands, slides down onto it, and lies face down with his hands over his eyes again, his knees tucked up under his scrawny body. He needs his vision to be as dark as it can get.

This is how learning is sometimes for Currituck. It happened to him throughout school, although school wasn't all that hard for him otherwise. His brain would get tired from the stress and he'd get overwhelmed and the wall that would form in his head would make everything so much harder. He'd even cry sometimes with frustration, which caused the other Hellbend boys to label him a crybaby, and the reputation of being a crybaby contributed to his bullying.

It's a good thing sailors reclaimed the word 'bully' to have a positive connotation.

But this is the bad bullying we're talking about.

Currituck presses on his face more and drives his head into the soft cushions to squeeze the air out of the popped-and-reformed stress balloon. This is why he pushes himself so hard as a sailor -- pushing his body past its limits is easier for him because his mind's in it, but when it's his mind that's at its limit, things are more difficult. But he's done it before! And he can do it again! It's like his sailor work: hard and tiring. But he can do it! He's strong! He's not the scared child who cried and ran to his momma whenever something went wrong anymore. He's a man now! A sailor! And he's going to be a captain! He can handle anything!

So sailor up, Currituck!

Little 'tuck keeps applying pressure to his face and head until he feels his head's insides relax. He takes a deep breath and opens his eyes to look at the couch. It is a soft couch. He slowly runs his fingers across the cushion directly beneath his face. Then he slides up onto his knees and leans sideways into the back of the couch. His muscles are exhausted from the tension and pressure stimming. Sounds of his father taking out a teacup, saucer, spoon, and jar of honey come quietly from the kitchen. To Currituck, these sounds are amplified a bit in this sensitive post-meltdown time. He turns his body and reclines on the couch cushion behind him and sighs, rubbing the cushion beneath him more. What a nice texture. He leans his head back and stares at the ceiling, hardly thinking a thing, until his father enters the living room a few minutes later, stirring the tea with the spoon.

"I already put your honey in and let it cool some."

Currituck sits up straight and receives the happy drink. He forces the words out of his mouth: "Thank you, sir."

"You don't hafta talk."

But he wants to try.

Sopubek sits down beside his son but leaves him personal space to wind down. He's witnessed many meltdowns before, so he for the most part knows what Currituck can handle during these times and what he can't. Currituck presses the rim of the teacup up to his lips for a few moments just to feel the texture. He purses his lips to feel it more and to feel the muscles in his lips. He feels the steam of the tea on his nose and smells the aroma of it and the honey. Finally, he slowly takes a sip, feeling the hot liquid touch his lips and seep into his mouth along with the slightly-sweet taste. Black tea with a spoonful of honey is his favorite non-alcoholic drink. It makes his tastebuds happy. He feels the warmth go down his throat and settle into his tummy as he swallows.

"It-- good--."

Currituck keeps stimming with his mouth, forming it into all kinds of shapes, touching his lips to the teacup, saying strings of words and babble with a forceful tone -- of course, he's not forcing himself to speak now, he is saying the feel-goods to help him feel good -- and keeps drinking his tea. His dad sits beside him throughout his recovery from the meltdown. It's not long before he finishes his tea and offers the empty china to his dad. Sopubek takes it and Currituck motions for him to scoot closer. He does. Currituck leans back into him and stares at the wall opposite, a smile cracking his face. Sopubek smiles himself.

"I love you, Currituck."

"Love you too, Pop."

Currituck enjoys his father's warm presence and body heat beside him a few moments longer before sitting up again and grinning at his dad. "I take it that you're done with my shoulder," his dad surmises amusedly. "Yes, sir!" Sopubek laughs and gets up en route to the kitchen. "I'll go wash this." Currituck beats his fists against the couch idly. He stops and crossbow-bolt-eyes the kitchen table, which is visible through the living room doorway. He stands up, puts his hands behind his back like he's talkin' t' somebody, and heads over. His father hears him enter the kitchen and washes the dishes more quietly. Currituck picks up the book with his left hand and lifts it up to his face, leaving his right hand behind his back. The wall starts to form just looking at the difficult words of the title. But he's determined to work past it. He clears his throat:

"The Fesherman and the Herdsman."

His brain rebukes him.

No! I'm in control!

He furrows his brows seriously and states from his diaphragm: "The Fesherman and the Herdsman!"

It's still hard.

Currituck locates the phonics worksheet and takes it up into his right hand. He finds the first character of the word fisherman and looks at its pronunciation. This is another phonetic that couldn't be rendered perfectly in Rigarian lettering, and it sounds a bit funny to roll off the tongue. He's heard it pronounced correctly before, it's just been hard for him to replicate due to the limitations of Rigarian phonics. But he can do it! He'll push past his mind's limitations and the limitations of his native language!

"Fffeh! Fff..ihhh..." He combines the consonant sound of the character with one of Common's isolated vowel sounds. "Fff-ih! Fff-ih! Fffih! Ffih! Fih!" It gets easier. He repeats the syllable several times over, and then, once he's confident he's gotten it down pat, he returns his gaze to the book's title and sounds it out:

"The Fisherman and the Herdsman!"

Sopubek leaves the dishes to dry. "Hey, nice pronouncing there, Tuckibuck!"

Currituck beams and puffs out his chest with pride.
word count: 2200
Currituck Itavi

Father and son cop seats on the couch again. Currituck's gonna have another go at The Fisherman and the Herdsman. He's got his giss flush with the back of the couch so his back remains straight in this relaxed position -- in case you didn't get the last twenty-seven memos, Currituck is rather obsessed with his posture; his dad reclines quite lazily in contrast.

"The Fisherman and the Herdsman, by Robin Robinson," Currituck begins anew. He flips to the first page.

"A fisherman lived by the Guh-lancing Giant Lake. He fished awl day-ee so that people could eat."

"So what do you think this means?"

Sopubek would be helping Currituck comprehend what he was reading play-by-play this time.

"Umm..." Currituck looks over the words again. In the illustration, there is a small fisherman's shack by the water. Currituck places his finger on it. "Th' fisherman lives here." "That's right." Currituck's finger drifts to the string of three words that gave him quite a bit of trouble the first time. Glancing Giant Lake. He lifts his finger and touches the illustration of the lake. "That's this, right? Guhlancing Giant Lake?" "Mm-hmm. Glancing Giant Lake, right next to Lysium." "Ohh! The Glancing Giant Lake!" Currituck remarks, using the Rigarian rendition of the proper noun. "Mm-hmm! This is the word for lake, lake--" Sopubek points at the third word; then he points to the first and second: "Glancing, Glancing, Giant, Giant," he says, saying the Common word first and its Rigarian equivalent second. "Ooooh, so that's why it looked so weird, it's a proper noun." "Mm-hmm." "Glancing Giant! Glancing Giant Lake!" Pronouncing words in Common is fun.

He looks over the words of the second sentence. "...He fished...so that people could eat..." He runs his fingers port to starboard from the first mystery word to the other: all and day. "Umm..." He points at the last character of the last word. "That's the same one that boy ends in. So..." He taps his tongue on the roof of his mouth pensively. "Day, day..."

"Need a hint?"

"Yeah."

Sopubek points at the blue sky in the illustration. "Look at what time it is."

"Afternoon?"

"Broader."

"Daytime?"

"Right. Now think of what that might mean in the context of this sentence."

Currituck peruses the sentence again. "He fished all day so that people could eat... Fished all day, fished all day..." His eyebrows cock. "Throughout the day?" "Just about. This is the word for day." He points at the Common word. Currituck slinks his index finger beside his dad's. "This ain't 'throughout'?" "It's similar to throughout. Think simpler." "Throughout, through, uhh... Allll-uh. Hmm. He fished all day so that people could eat..."

"How many hands on deck, sailor?"

"All hands on deck!"

"Exactly! All!"

Currituck gasps. "All! All!"

"Mm-hmm." His dad gives him a high five. "Next sentence! Go!"

"The people-group was suhmm-all and the fishermen could feedh them all. All, all. Hmm... People-group... Uhh...a group of people?"

"Yep. Now think of Avakaron. Why's it called The Bond of the People?"

"Because we're a community of Hellbends."

"Right. So what's Lysium, then?"

"A community of Humans?"

"Bingo. People-group is the Common word for community."

"Cool!" The people-group was small and the fishermen could feed them all. The fourth word was a bit tricky because: "This one has all in it." "It does, but that doesn't mean that it has anything to do with the word all." "Hmm... The fishermen could... Fish, fish..." He looks at the huge catch the fisherman is hauling onto his boat. "Feedh. Has something to do with--" He points at a word on the previous page. "Eat, right?" "Mm-hmm. 'Give food,' or 'feed.' Don't make such an airy noise at the end of the word. Feed. Repeat after me:"

"Feed," say father and son in unison.

"Good. So how about that last word, Tuckibuck?" The one with all in it. "Umm...it was a small community?" "Small. You're right." Currituck gets a big smile on his face.

Father and son continue going through the story play-by-play, Sopubek helping Currituck understand the meaning of every word. There's no rush; great care is taken to ensure Currituck comprehends the story and its words. Soon it is almost lunchtime. Currituck's mom would be back soon. Sopubek heads back to the kitchen to prepare lunch, leaving lil' 'tuck to practice with the book and just do Currituck things.

Currituck chooses to run out to the market real quick to buy some paper. He buys ten whole sheets for a single topaz, because he's going to write in Common to his heart's content this afternoon! (He also pees in the bushes out back -- he hadn't pissed since he woke up.) Upon returning with his stationery, which he slides betwixt the pages of Pony of Tony, Currituck looks upon The Fisherman and the Herdsman, the scent of Pop's delicious cooking filling his nostrils as he glides across the kitchen back into the living room. He plops down on the floor with his back straight against the front of the couch where people's shins typically reside and holds the book up in front of him. He starts to read it aloud to himself:

"The Fisherman and the Herdsman, by Robin Robinson.

A fisherman lived by the Glancing Giant Lake. He fished all day so that people could eat. The community was small and the fishermen could feed them all.

The fisherman caught a lot of fish. The lake was good for the community. The people lived well.

Soon more people came to the lake. There were war-riors and herdsmen and more fishermen. The lake couldn't feed them all."

The Common word for 'warriors' still gives him a bit of trouble phonetically.

"A herdsman went to the fisherman and said, 'We have cows-group and chickens-group and flahcks of sheep. We'll help you feed the people.

And the herdsman did help the fisherman feed the people. They ate cow-meat and chicken-meat and sheep-meat. They ate ehgs and draynk mihlk, too.

But there were a lot of men-people in the community, and not a lot of women-people. There weren't enough baby-people to grow into adult-people.

But suddenly, the women-people started making more baby-people. Soon there were more women-people, and more baby-people, and more adult-people. The community kehpt going, and in the Thhird Jehnerashun, it was named Balance.

And the dess-ehn-dantz of the fishermen and the herdsmen live in Balance today.

THE END."

Currituck closes the book and beams to himself. He only chaked up some of the pronunciations, and he's going to get it right and read the book to his mom when she gets back! She's going to be so proud! He cracks the book open to the beginning and starts reciting the story once more.

~~~
Ledger notes
-10 sheets of paper (1 topaz)
word count: 1284
Currituck Itavi

11:42 a.m.

Lunch is ready. Currituck clears off the table of the Common-learning supplies and stows them at the foot of his bed in his room. Sopubek takes out dishes, cups, and flatware from the cabinets. He fills a teapot with water.

"Want more of your tea, Tuckibuck?"

"No, thank you, sir."

"'Kay. I'm putting on a pot of your mom's, want any?" He waves a teacup around for emphasis.

"Yes, sir."

"Alrighty."

Sopubek moves a jar of dried petals from the flowers in the garden closer, and he puts the petals into three sachets; he ties the sachets and puts each into a teacup. He waits for the water to boil. There's naught to do but twiddle one's thumbs in the meantime.

So Currituck and Sopubek have a thumb-twiddling contest.

...Heeeeeee!

Time's up! Sopubek put up a good fight, but Currituck emerged the victor on this occasion! Better luck next time, Pop!

Sopubek concedes defeat and goes to attend to the whistling teapot. Currituck follows him and watches his tea-making process triumphantly.

~~~

12:14 p.m.

The door makes its telltale creaking sound as Mar'lily Itavi comes home.

"Boys~ I'm home!"

The men of the house are already eating at the table. Sopubek's head turns acknowledgingly to his right -- he's facing away from the door -- and he speaks with his mouth full: "Ah-- Mmm-- I already brewed yo'r tea, Lily -- it's shittin' on the shtove -- dere's shome vechtabl' stir fry on duh coun'er for you, ash well." Mar'lily goes and kisses Sopubek, who is sitting in the chair nearest the door, on the head first, then kisses Currituck, who was sitting in the middle chair, on the head next. Currituck smiles while he chews his food.

"Anne made those cute pastries of hers while I was over, so I'm not all that hungry," Mar'lily explains as she goes to set her things down in her tailoring room. When she returns, she removes her teacup from the warm stove, grabs a saucer from the countertop, and cops the only vacant seat at the table. She looks at Currituck, but addresses both men: "So how were your Common lessons today?" A smile splits the corners of Currituck's mouth as he drinks his own cup of Pop's tea. "Tuckibuck here'sh been workin' real hard on undershtanding it all." Sopubek stops to swallow his food. "He wants to show you something when he's done eating." Currituck nods enthusiastically. "Yes, ma'am! I wanna show you what I learned~" "Well, I look forward to it, Tucky!" She rubs him on the shoulder. "Hey--" Mar'lily starts again, eyes widening with excitement. "--I'm gonna get somma that stir fry--" She gets up and goes over to the counter. "It smells TOO GOOD to pass up! My stomach can explode for all I care!" Mama Itavi spoons some stir-fry into the plate Papa Itavi left out for her. "I might give the rest of this to Anne, if that's alright with you, Sopie." "That's fine, I don't give an avent." Mar'lily turns around to look at Currituck. "Did you want any more, Tucky?" "No, ma'am, I'm full." It's true. "Okay." Mar'lily takes her small fill and resumes her seat at the table with her husband and son. The family members' respective postures contrast from one another: Sopubek tends to slouch all the time, Currituck tends to stay upright all the time, and Mar'lily tends to stand up straight and sit hunched over. Given this information, you'd think Sopubek and Currituck gave birth to Mar'lily, rather than Sopubek and Mar'lily having given birth to Currituck.

Anyhow...

Over the course of seven minutes, the family archeries the avent, Currituck finishes his tea, and Mar'lily and Sopubek finish their food -- Currituck was already finished, as his appetite matches his weight. He goes to gather his soiled tablewear but his father puts a hand over Currituck's plate. "AENHT! You already deep-cleaned the kitchen today, Mr. Spick-and-Spants, it's my turn now!" He seizes the dishes before his son can protest and stands up, looking down at Mar'lily. "The little avent scrubbed the whole-giss kitchen while I was gone this morning." "Oh, I was wondering why everything looked so clean!" Currituck beams bashfully. "With the sponge, I might add," Sopubek adds. Mar'lily furrows her brows incredulously. "Tuckyyy... We have a mop!" Currituck grins and shrugs. "Sponge is how I'm used t' cleanin', sponge is how I clean best." Mar'lily smiles, scoots her chair over, and brings Currituck in for a hug. "Thank you," she says quietly. "So what were you wanting to show me, Currituck?" His smile gets wider. "Lemme get it!" His mother releases him and he goes to his room to retrieve both children's books. Once back in his chair, he shows his mom the cover of Tony's Pony. He reads it out in Common: "Pony of Tony." "Ooh!" Mar'lily remarks.

Mar'lily does not speak a lick of Common.

Currituck opens the book and begins reading the story. He points to the figures in the pictures as he says their associated words so as to prove his comprehension. Mar'lily watches and listens expectantly. Currituck's making good effort to pronounce the words correctly, but given his accent, it sounds funny coming out of his mouth. Sopubek renders his Common much better, given his years of experience speaking the foreign tongue as a travelling merchant in the Steppes and his less-slangful Avakaronian landie accent.

But Currituck's learning.

When he finishes the book, Mar'lily claps. "Woo! That was great, Tucky!" Currituck tempers his bubbling pride behind a closed-mouth smile and brazen-eyed look. "I got another one!" He shows his mom The Fisherman and the Herdsman. "Hold on, Tuckibuck--," his father interjects, drying his hands after having completed the dish-swabbery-- excuse me, -washery. Landies and their funny words. "Let's move this into the living room -- I wanna listen to you read it, too."

"Okay." Currituck is smiling yet.

Currituck stands in the living room before his folks, who are sitting on the couch holding hands and looking up at their son.

He's gonna pronounce everything right.

He's practiced!

He starts reading...

The seas are calm and the gales are in his favor. But lo'! A tricky word dead ahead! Steady as she goes!

"...There were warriors and herdsmen and more fishermen...."

He got it right.

Look fast! Another tricky word off the starboard-bow!

"'We have cattle and chickens and flocks of sheep."

He pronounced that one right too. Although, his accent dipped into that of a Paethsmouther sailor. Such is life. But look alive, sailor! The gales are whipping up and we've stormy seas ahead!

"They ate beef and poultry and venison. They ate-- eggs and drank milk, too."

He took a brief pause to make sure he pronounced eggs and the subsequent flurry right.

Look ahead! Look astern! Look t' weather and a-lee! Mind the way the wind blows as it flows between your teeth!

"The community kept going, and in the-- Third Gen-er-a-tion, it was named Balance."

We've gotten through that patch of rough sea, sailor, but stay sharp! We've one trial more upon this sea!

"And the de-scen-dants of the fishermen and the herdsmen live in Balance today.

THE END."

Whew!

His parents applaud him.

"Woo!"

"Nice job, Tuckibuck!"

"I didn't understand any of that, but that was amazing!"

"He didn't either, until I went through it with him."

Mar'lily gets up and hugs Currituck tightly. "Ooh, that was so good! You did so good, Little Tucky!" Tucky hugs his mom back. "Thanks, mom~" His face burns brightly from the praise. "I wish I understood what all you read to us." "Want me t' explain it to y'?" The hug concludes. "Maybe later -- I'm gonna go ahead and take the leftovers over to Anne's." "Yes, ma'am." Mar'lily starts heading out. "Love you two. Need anything while I'm out?"

"Nah."

"No, ma'am."

"I'm gone then!"

And off she goes, just like she said.

"Hey, I saw where you brought home a bunch of paper -- you wanna work on your writing? In Common, I mean?"

"Yes, sir."

"Alrighty." Currituck's dad reaches out his right hand in faux fatigue. "Ohh, but let's take a break from those wooden chairs first -- the couch feels so good and my giss is glued to it."

"B'cuz y' never sit up straight~"

"You shut your mouth," Sopubek counters, pointing at his son. "I'm supposed to be the one nagging you about that!" Currituck giggles. "Right? Or did I fail my parenting courses again?" Currituck laughs louder. Papa Itavi places the back of his hand on his forehead in faux anguish. He continues dramatically: "I have failed you as a father, my son! Just toss me overboard." He flails his arms upward in a tossing motion, and Currituck bursts into doubled-over stomach laughter at his father's increasing levels of comedy. It shall be noted that, throughout his discourse here on the couch, the only parts of Sopubek's body that moved were his eyes, mouth, arms, and hands -- the rest were stuck fast as if affixed by glue to the big, comfy couch.

His giss was glued to it, just like he said.
Last edited by Currituck Itavi on Wed May 05, 2021 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 1615
Currituck Itavi

Later.
12:38 p.m., to be precise.

Sopubek finally gets his giss off that tercer couch and goes to help Currituck with his Common writing in the kitchen. Little 'tuck has his paper, writing utensils, the books, and the phonics worksheet. He dips his pen in his vial of ink and does a big think:

Hi, I'm Currituck Itavi, a sailor, he big-thinks in Common. He bigger-thinks of how those phonetics are written in Common. Such strange squiggles. He remembers his name most vividly and can write it without help, but to begin the sentence, he needs assistance. He glances over at the phonics on his cheat sheet and looks for the sounds he's making in his head. Then, he begins to write:

H...i... I'...m... C...u...r...r...i...t...u...c...k... I...t...a...vi... a... s...ai...l...o...r. His handwriting looks similar in style to how it was when he was learning how to write in Rigarian as a child, wobbly and deliberate. It takes him a second or more in some cases to write a single character, and his writing trails up and down the page some.

"Here. Lemme see." Sopubek takes Currituck's pen, folds the bottom of the sheet of paper up, and draws a straight line using the bottom of the paper as a guide. He makes several lines down the paper in this fashion. Then he renders a few dashes within the first lined space he made. "Here's ya some guidelines." Currituck takes his pen back and starts writing within the first guideline:

H i , ... I ' m ... C u rri t u c k ... I t a vi, ... a ... s ai l or. With the help of the guidelines, his rendering of the letters is more uniform and doesn't trail. He moves his hand enough to render a space, then starts writing the sentence again, continuing on the same line: Hi , ... I' m ... C urritu Aw avent that's the end of the page. He starts his name again on the next line: C urrituc k ... It a vi, ... a ... s ail or. He's getting the hang of the letters, especially the ones in his name. Hi,...I' m...Currituc k...Itavi,...a...sail or. Currituck keeps writing this introductory sentence over and over, down the page, until his rendering of it looks decent towards the bottom: Hi, I'm Currituck Itavi, a sailor. Currituck sits upright and stretches, passing his pen into his off-hand to flex his stiff fingers. He'd leaned in to really focus on making the letters look good and accurate.

"Mmh-- chak."

He sighs as he drops his arms down and returns his pen to his dominant hand. He flips over the paper to the still-blank side and slides over Pony of Tony.

He's gonna copy the words of the story onto his paper.

His father makes more guidelines, and Currituck hunches up close to the writing surface, referencing the words on the cover as he writes:

P...o...n...y... o...f... T...o...n...y...

He should really sit up straight for this rather than curling over the table like a squirrel at breakfast. Currituck sits upright and holds the book up to his face. He scrutinizes the author's name. b...y... A...aro...n S...mit...h He opens the book to page one and scrutinizes the first few words one by one. Onc...e ... t...h...e...r...e ... w...as ... a ... b...o...y ... name...d ... T...o...n...y, ... w...h...o ... want...e...d ... a ... p...ony. His eyes dart from the page to his paper back and forth as he copies the letters. So ... he ... w...e...nt ... to ... his ... m...oth...e...r ... an...d ... said, ... 'M...a...y ... I ... ha...v...e ... a ... p...ony...?' And his m...o...the...r said-- He flips the page. 'N...o, T...ony, y...ou m...a...y not ha...v...e a p...ony.' So he w...e...nt to his f...athe...r and said, 'F...ather, ...m...a...y I ha...ve a p...ony...?' And his f...ather said-- He flips to the next page. 'N...o, T...ony, y...ou ma...y not ha...ve a p...ony.' So he w...ent to his g...ra...n...p...y and said, 'M...ay I have a p...ony, G...ran...p...y...?' And his g...ranp...y said-- Flip. 'No, Tony, I'm not g...i...vin...g you a pony. Tony was sad. So Tony w...ent to his gra...m...m...y and said, 'W...i...l...l you g...iv...e m...e a pony, G...ra...mm...y...?' And his gramm...y said-- Flip. 'Y...e...s, Tony, I w...i...ll give you a pony...!' Tony was hap...p...y...!

Currituck puts down the book, shifts his pen into his off hand, and shakes out his dominant hand. He's been pressing rather hard into the paper. Such is the way when one is learning how to write in an unfamiliar writing system. But as he got nearer the end of the story, his writing of frequent characters became more fluid and relaxed.

He's gonna give Tony's Pony another go. He has plenty of paper.

Pony o...f Tony ... b...y Aaron S...mith

O...nce there was a b...oy named Tony, w...ho wanted a pony. So he w...ent to his mother and said, 'May I have a pony...?' And his mother said-- 'No, Tony, you may not have a pony.' So he went to his f...ather and said, 'F...ather, may I have a pony...?' And his father said-- 'No, Tony, you may not have a pony.' So he went to his gran...py and said, 'W...i...ll you give me a pony, G...ranpy?' And his granpy said-- 'No, Tony, I'm not giving you a pony. Tony was sad. So Tony went to his grammy and said, 'W...ill you give me a pony, Grammy?' And his grammy said, 'Y...es, Tony, I will give you a pony...! Tony was happy!'

Currituck's hand is cramping.

Sopubek slides the now two sheets of written-on paper over and looks over his son's work. "Great improvement, Currituck." He points at various words. "Especially with Tony and pony and granpy and grammy." Currituck smiles. "Thank you, sir." The little sailor closes Pony of Tony and moves The Fisherman and the Herdsman close. Sopubek looks at his son's poised writing hand. "Think you need a break from writing? You were shakin' out your hand a bit." Currituck looks at his dominant hand and the pen it's holding. He considers whether it would be better to push himself and keep going despite his hand's fatigue or take a break.

"Yeah. Let's take a break."

"I call the couch!" Sopubek scoots his chair out and makes a mad dash for the living room in attempt to get to the comfy seating first (despite the couch having enough room to seat multiple people). Currituck slaps the side of his face and chuckles, rests the pointy end of his pen on the rim of his inkwell (so any dripping ink returns to its original reservoir), and goes to make sure his father ain't hoggin' th' whole couch.

~~~
Word count note:
Due to the site counting individual letters as individual words, the displayed word count is inaccurately high. I ran this post through a word counter, removed all spaces within words and ellipses, and was presented with the proper word total of 1,066 words (this total does not include the text contained within this spoiler). I shall be using this number when calculating my word totals upon submission in the language request thread. The reason I used such formatting for Currituck's Common writing was to more accurately and easily portray his struggle to write the letters and progression of skill in rendering them.
Last edited by Currituck Itavi on Wed May 05, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1443
Currituck Itavi

Later still.
12:59 p.m., with 46 seconds until 1300 hours, to be precise.

The tall couch potato
and short red tomato
on the big, comfy couch!

That is, until Currituck expresses interest in resuming his writing practice.

Then they gotta get up and go to the goshdang kitchen table again.

But through the tables and the sillies, we carry on!

Currituck refills his dip pen and holds up The Fisherman and the Herdsman. Sopubek places his hand on the paper in preparation to move it over so he can draw the guidelines, but Currituck presses the side of his right hand down on the paper in protest, resulting in some ink dripping down onto the center of the paper.

"I wanna try it without guidelines, Pop."

"Oh." He releases the paper. "Knock yourself out."

Currituck maneuvers his hand to rest west-southwest of the inkblot (the Itavi residence faces north-northwest, and the front door is on this face) and begins transcribing The Fisherman and the Herdsman.

~~~

As the fisherman casts his line to feed the settlement,
so, too, does Currituck cast his lines with pen,
the ink squiggling and curving in forms straight and bent.

Strange is the alphabet of the Common language:
it is soft and fluid, unlike the sharp characters of Rigarian,
but Currituck is determined; his focus, engaged.

The tip of his pen swims like fish into the fisherman's net.
The ink soaks into the paper, forming an irregular trail --
the sailor's Common penmanship requires improvement yet.

More humans settle at the lake;
likewise, more words, onto the paper, are transcribed from this foreign tale.
Currituck will practice for as long as it takes.

Neither cramps, nor fatigue, nor shutdowns will deter him:
All obstacles in the way of his goal he will undermine,
work past -- forcing himself to improve because of them.

See now the livestock words with their peculiar shapes:
like how Paethsmouthers say 'spad,' they are odd, and he finds
the characters difficult to write smoothly with his jagged pen-scrapes.

See now the produce words with their unusual lettering:
their curvaceousness and sweeping lines are as foreign as
milk to an Avakaronian.
To write in Common smoothly, Currituck must move his wrist with fettering.

And lo', the collective nouns, in their plight:
the reproduction of strings of letters, like the reproduction of the humans,
emboldens Currituck on his writing-flight.

And lo', the large words that pose the final trial:

Third Generation, and Balance, and descendants he must write.
But you know Currituck has overcome challenges more vile.

For even if he were to be challenged personally by Rakar,
Currituck would remain steadfast; his future is as bright as the stars.

~~~

THE END.

Currituck resists the urge to grunt upon finishing that transcription. His hand is tired, and his neck and shoulders are stiff. He'd gone off course numerous times without his dad's guidelines to help him, but he corrected himself, although the trend of his lettering trailing downward as he neared the right edge of the paper meant he had to start further down on the next line to compensate, resulting in him going through his paper faster and having to squeeze in letters at the bottom of the back of the second sheet of paper. He also had to jump past the inkblot he dripped onto the page. His practice of writing the words of The Fisherman and the Herdsman combined with his other practices has left him with a little over seven and a half blank sheets of paper -- the story ended near the bottom of the front of the third sheet of paper, but he still had space to write another line or two. Sopubek looks over his work.

"Excellent, Currituck."

It's not THAT good, Pop.

"Work on keeping your writing in line and smoothing out your penstrokes and you'll be good."

Case in point.

"Here, watch how my hand moves when I write."

Sopubek adds more ink to the pen and uses the remaining space on the front of the third page of practice to write the title of The Fisherman and the Herdsman along with the first several sentences. Currituck watches on. His father's penstrokes are quick, light, and fluid. His letters are small and remain in line with each other. His hand stays relaxed on the page, his fingers likewise on the pen. "It's natural to write more rigidly when you're learning how to write in a different writing system, but you can work past it~" He shoots Currituck a smirk. Currituck smirks back and sits up straighter. "Tercer right I can!" He stretches his arms up towards the ceiling and rolls his neck in the manner Boga did when they were working out awhile back as his dad flips the paper over and slides it back over to him. Feels good~ Currituck presses on the fingers of and shakes out his writing hand, receives the pen back, turns back to the beginning of The Fisherman and the Herdsman, and starts to transcribe the story once again.
word count: 853
Currituck Itavi

Currituck's mom had returned from delivering leftovers to her friend Anne during the second round of transcription of The Fisherman and the Herdsman. Anne had insisted that she take home some excess pastries for herself and the family, and so Mar'lily gave in and took home one pastry for each Itavi family member. Mar'lily and Sopubek went ahead and ate their pastries. Currituck was tempted to take a break from writing to eat his immediately also -- the practice was wearing on his hand and starting to wear on his mind again -- but he elected to save the pastry as a reward for completing the task at hand.

He followed his dad's advice and endeavored to write with a more relaxed hand; while this resulted in his linework being loose and flying all over the place due to lesser control, it did mean that his strokes were more light and that his hand had more stamina to continue. When he finishes this second transcription of the more advanced book, Currituck tilts his head up to face the ceiling with his eyes closed and lets out a big sigh through his nostrils.

Time to take another break.

Currituck joins his family in the living room, munching on Anne's pastry. Sopubek and Mar'lily are sitting on the couch.

"All done, Tuckibuck?"

"Yesh, shir--" He swallows. "Yes, sir."

Sopubek pats the space beside him. "Cop a seat then."

Currituck sits down with the fam and they talk about stuff. The usual stuff. You know the kinda stuff. Stuff. And after Currituck finishes his pastry and they talk about more stuff, th' wee sailor's thoughts go to his Common practice again. He's getting tired. He wants to improve. But he also wants to rest. Hmm...

...No! I'm gonna do it! Chak being tired! Currituck stands up-- "I'm gonna go work on m' Common some more." --and marches himself into the kitchen. Plop! He takes up his pen and looks at what all he's written so far. He's begun writing on the fourth sheet of paper, and has gone through around half of the front of it. The mental blockage stirs up at the thought of transcribing The Gods-damned Fisherman and Herdsman again. All those words... It's tedious. Currituck scrunches his face and takes up his pen, about to hunker down and do it all again, but a thought hits him:

What if I try writin' somethin' m'self instead a' copyin' somethin' else?

Bingo!

Currituck grins as he refills his dip pen. The fun returns, and the mental wall dissolves. Hmm, what to write~? He thinks, then puts pen to paper:

There once was a sailor named Currituck

Currituck likes limericks. He snorts at the thought of what he's gonna write next, but is missing some words. Handily, Sopubek enters the kitchen at that moment.

"Pop, what's th' Common word f'r 'like'?"

"'Like.'"

"And its past-tense is 'liked,' right?"

"Yep."

"How about 'word'?"

"Word? Verb or noun form?"

"Noun."

"It's 'word.''"

"Thanks." He writes:

who liked to say the Common word 'fuck.'

Currituck giggles. What next? ...Oh!

In Paethsmouth's bully port
the women are

"What's th' Common word f'r cute? 'r pretty? Whatever."

"The chak're you writing about?" Sopubek peeks over his son's shoulder to read what he's writing. His face contorts with mirth at the sight of the curse word and the presumable sexual humor. "PFFT-- You're writin' about-- Oh Gods..." He chortles. "'Cute' is 'cute' and 'pretty' is 'pretty.'"

cute sorts

Now, what rhymes with Currituck and fuck? Sopubek sits down at the table in his usual chair. "Writin' about those human ladies, I see," he smirks. He is aware of his son's tastes in women. Currituck slides his paper over to his father. "Pop, how c'n I rhyme th' last line with 'Currituck' and 'fuck'?" "Let's see..." Sopubek looks over the limerick. He rattles off a few rhyme options. Currituck hones in on one. He thinks on it. "...What's th' Common word f'r 'believe'?" "It's uhh 'believe.'" Currituck grins-- "Thanks." --and finishes his Common-language limerick:

--
the chak-jack cannot believe his luck!

He shows his dad. "Pfft-- BWAHAHAHAHA!" Sopubek busts out laughing. "You nasty dog!" Currituck snickers. He reads his poem over again. Hmm, he could reword that second line to tie it in with the third, fourth, and fifth lines! He rewrites his poem beneath the first iteration:

There once was a sailor named Currituck
who liked to, as Humans say, 'fuck.'
In Paethsmouth's bully port
the women are cute sorts --
the chak-jack cannot believe his luck!

Currituck snort-laughs through his nose and chortles throughout his writing of this second version. Sopubek reads it and shakes his head, chuckling. "Chakin' horndog."

Mar'lily enters the kitchen. "Alright, what's going on in here?" she asks with a grin. Sopubek holds up the piece of paper. "Tuckibuck just wrote a limerick in Common about chaking human women in Paethsmouth." "Tuckyyyy..." Mar'lily snickers and shakes her head at him. Currituck smiles widely. He isn't ashamed, nor are his parents, of his promiscuity and high libido.
word count: 880
Currituck Itavi

4:11 p.m.
In conclusion.

Currituck continued writing into the afternoon. He wrote whatever random Common sentences popped into his head. Subjects were simple and familiar, like sailing, his love for his family and friends, and his affections for various genders. He misspelled several words, but at least he understood the words' phonics. He wrote down orders spoken in Common such as 'Attention' and 'As you were' and 'Belay.' He wrote down what sailor ranks were called in Common, such as 'Captain' and 'First Mate.' He wrote down Common swear words, and attempted to render phonetically Rigarian swear words in the Common alphabet. He wrote down 'I have a big mast' and 'I fuck the fishermen all day' and 'I smell like an ah-per.' He went further to write, 'The cunt of the escort is small and I like it.'

Calm down, Currituck, sheesh.

After harping on about smelling like he has lain with the fishes at his own expense, among other extracurricular activities involving sexual humor, Currituck changed tack in his writing to the other forms of love that were on his mind. 'Boh-gah is my mate.' Sailors call each other mates as a friendly term, so Currituck was saying Boga is his friend. 'Ah-zah-t is a lah-n-dee. I want him to be my mate, too.' They'd gotten off on the wrong foot, and there was still tension between both men. 'Soh-lah-rah is pretty. She is a human. She is my mate, too.' True statements. 'I love my mom and pop.' He asked his dad for help on this next sentence to fill in the blanks in his Common vocabulary: 'Mom is a tailor, and Pop is a merchant, and I am a sailor.' He concluded his writing practice with, 'Hi, I'm Currituck Itavi, a sailor.'

What a day.

Currituck spends the rest of the afternoon hanging out with his mom, and he explains the plots of Pony of Tony and The Fisherman and the Herdsman to her while she works on her tailoring commissions. His dad starts dinner in the meantime.

~~~

7:56 p.m.

The family sits on the couch together, with Currituck sitting to Pop's left and Mom sitting opposite Currituck and sewing a pair of gloves. The hearth is burning brightly and cozily. What a beautiful spring evening. Sopubek has a thick book with a green cover.

"This one's too advanced for your reading level, but I'm just gonna read it to ya anyway. It's an autobiography of a human sailor."

Currituck's heart flutters at the thought and he looks over at the strange tome. His dad cracks it open and starts reading. Currituck leans back and listens. He recognizes some words from his sailing career, but the sentences are very complex and difficult to understand. Eventually he stops trying to understand what his father's saying and just closes his eyes and lets the sounds drift into his ears. His father speaks so softly and gently. The Common words melt like honey with their smooth tones. Knowing the subject is sailing despite his overall lack of comprehension adds to Currituck's bliss, and soon the little sailor floats adrift into Aneves's sea of sleep.

"Sopie." Sopubek looks at Mar'lily, who nods towards Currituck. Sopubek looks over at his sleeping son and smiles.

"Currituck."

Someone is calling Currituck's name far away.

Nudge.

Someone is nudging him gently on the thigh.

Currituck slowly opens his eyes. He blinks some. He sees his father smiling at him in his peripheral vision.

"You need to go to bed, Tuckibuck."

Currituck smiles. "Mmm~" He sits up, feeling the nappy fuzzies in his insides, and stands. His parents stand too and hug and kiss him good night.

"Night, Tuckibuck."

"Sleep well."

"Night, Mom. Night, Pop."

Currituck heads into his room, strips to his undies (he is ashore with a cozy blanket, so this is not an action that would get him branded a perish-rigged spad), eases himself into his soft bed, and exits, stage sleepyland.

FIN.
word count: 686
Bigealien
Re: (Complete) Reading Rainbowsprit

Post by Bigealien »

Skills
Because this thread dealt mostly with a Basic Skill, there are few Learned Skill points

Obersvation: +6
Storytelling: +1
Composition (Writing): +2
Languages
Improvement of the Language of Common from Poor to Moderate
Improvement on Reading and Writing the Language of Common from Poor to Moderate

Be sure to link this thread to your Skills.
Notes
So extremely well done! Amazing job creating this extraordinarily detailed story from the limited info we have on the two existing languages. A pleasure to read!
word count: 332
Office ~ Player Sheet
Avatar & Signature contain AI art.
Abraxas

Re: (Complete) Reading Rainbowsprit

Post by Abraxas »

Seasonal Story Rewards

This thread has been claimed for Seasonal Story Reward Experience in Fall 321 A.C. with a Total Word Count of 11,262.
word count: 26
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic