Avakaron(Complete) The First Sermon

The Hellbend city on the northern shore of Winhem.
Currituck Itavi

Re: (PM to join) The First Sermon

Post by Currituck Itavi »

Currituck gets a big, bashful grin on his face when Boga interjects about training him physically and compliments him on his merit. "Thank you~ I don't know if I'll be at sea that day, but if not, count on me being there!" The 40th of Winter. Ten days. The butterflies flick tongues of happy flame across Currituck's heart. "It's been a pleasure meetin' you, too! I'll be sure t' keep a look out for you when I'm dockside."

The sailor waves farewell to his friend and to Eskk as he goes to leave, although his wave to Boga displayed more enthusiasm.

But as Currituck walks away, and hears Boga's hesitation: "But um," he stops, and turns back around. The meekness from before has returned, in the way Boga is speaking. He seemed to be really bothered by Eskk's inclusion of him...and Eskk didn't get permission first? Currituck himself got embarrassed when Eskk dragged him into it, so...imagine how this big, sweet, lovable, meek guy feels about his actions being paraded around. Currituck doesn't have to imagine. He feels it in the way Boga talks. And Currituck's heart is crushed.

Currituck walks back up to the two taller Hellbends. A few minutes to stand by his friend when he's speaking his mind won't make him late to the ship. Remembering how jumpy Boga seemed earlier, the shortest man among the three figures that coming up from behind wouldn't be the best idea; he still wondered if Boga was actually scared by him approaching suddenly earlier. Instead, Currituck walks up to a point perpendicular to the two -- their positions would form three corners of a square -- and smiles up at Boga, then to Eskk in acknowledgment, then back up at Boga. He hopes his friend will feel better, more confident, by him being there for him, although he says nothing -- just smiles encouragingly.

He listens to Eskk's reply. His initial tone of voice is funky, like grime on a ship's hull. Currituck can't quite put his finger on it -- not that he'd wanna touch a ship's grimy-ass hull anyway -- I mean, he'd do it if he had to, like if he was cleaning it, but just walking up and touching it? Ew. And Eskk is talkin' really funny...like he's still givin' a speech...like ev'ry word that comes outta 'is mouth is calculated. Ain't 'e an' Boga friends with each other? Why's 'e talkin' so formal, if so? The words were nice on paper and in speeches, but in regular conversation it's just weird. It's really fuckin' weird.

Currituck will remember that.

When Eskk dishes out the compliments to Boga, Currituck nods up at his friend in enthusiastic agreement. From what he's seen, Boga is a kind soul.

...A kind soul he wants to protect.

Currituck looks down at the ground, engulfed in these feelings of immense friendship, smiling uncontrollably. Eskk is asking Boga to join him. Currituck doesn't wanna influence his friend's decision...what should he do? There's but a split second to decide, so he just looks up at Boga with a friendly smile on his face.
word count: 551
Boga Negura

Post by Boga Negura »

Boga is sure to wave at Currituck in return as he starts to walk away, sporting a genuine smile of his own. He'll understand if he couldn't make it, sailing is up to the weather, not the captain after all, but Boga does want to see him again at some point. He seems like a good chap with confident to boot, a rare combination, Bo finds. Most people who are confident turn it into arrogance and try to bully others and those who are kind tend to let others walk over them. Like himself. Definitely like himself. But Boga definitely has reasons to not be confident, lest he hurt people, so it's purely for other people's safety, really. Probably. Maybe.

Or not.

Boga managed to give Eskk a glance when his hand moves, stroking his naked chin like a pet upon his lap. Boga isn't sure how to interpret this. He knows men who have beards do this idly sometimes, just to give their hands something to do while they think, but Eskk doesn't have a hair on that jaw of his. Why on Siliren would he stroke his chin for? That and the flatlining," I see," confuses him even more. Is it wrong for Boga to tell him to ask for permission? Is that rude? Boga didn't originally think so but maybe it is. After all, Boga has never been in this situation unless it was a bad story being told, and Boga's never confronted anyone about it either. Maybe he should have just left it alone.

Fidgetting with his suspenders, Bo continues to listen. Eskk essentially confirms that Boga is in the right for asking him not to use his name for stories without permission, but his tone, not that Boga is good at discerning them, suggests that it was a mistake. He doesn't know whether to trust the words or trust how the words were said, so he remains quiet until he's done.

As he's fidgeting and looking at the ground, he notices Currituck returning to them and Boga looks at him. His eyes show surprise, but not a startled look like earlier. Just one that shows he didn't expect Currituck to come back after making his leave. Perhaps he forgot to ask Eskk something before he left.

Either way, Boga still listens to Eskk somewhat ramble about stories and such, like the end of his speech, before devolving into compliments that Boga doesn't know how to take in. Naturally, Boga's smile cracks his face a bit and his skin grows warm, lightening around the cheeks. He's not good at taking compliments. "I- well- thank you." His tone reveals how baffled he is at the praise. He definitely tries to help out where he can, and while Boga sees his strength as a sort of curse, he understands why everyone says it's a gift. Lifting sharks and having great height, it's all cool and all until someone nearly loses their life. But the compliments still fill him with a sort of pride that he hadn't felt in a long time.

Boga always tells himself, and others should they ask, that he loves his job. He can help others with their basic needs without needing much else other than simply his strength. Most people who look at his job see just an average, minimum paying job for poor workers. They don't see the intent behind it. They don't see it as an act of charity or kindness or trying to help others. It's just a job to them. But to Boga it is much more, so having Eskk recognize in a way that he tries to give to others in washes him in a rush of validation, and again pride.

But on top of the lavish flattery, Eskk goes a step further. Boga's face goes blank with shock. The face of the organization? What? Really? The face, as in the representative? This big logo guy? The mascot, in a way? But, why him? He just got done explaining why, but Boga still can't help but question it. Bo certainly hopes he is all the things that Eskk has told him he is, but he is also more than that. He is erratic, he's emotional, he's impatient and fidgety, he's overprotective, and he hurts people and makes them uncomfortable. That's not really someone you want to be the face of your organization. Right?

"I-I-" He stammers heavily, his eyes stuck to an empty space just to the left of Eskk. "I- really- I mean-" He cuts himself off with two chuckles of embarrassment. He is essentially speechless. His eyes jitter in the space between Currituck and Eskk, but eventually, he looks directly at the shorter man, still beaming a smile at him. How does he look so confident all the time? It's like there isn't a nervous bone in his body. Boga wishes he could be like that. Drawing some inspiration from Currituck's unwavering courage, Boga takes a drawn-out breath to give his flickering tongue and beating heart a pause before looking at Eskk, even managing to make eye contact for just a moment," I will definitely consider it. I want to help out wherever I can. But..." Boga's confidence lasted until now, some of his timid and uncertain nature poking through again. It was still better than nothing. "What would I exactly do as the face of the organization? I don't know much about business or politics or building groups such as these. I'm afraid I don't know how different positions work." He's only been a humble labourer after all. Why would he know how a political organization is run?
word count: 979
Eskk Jannik

Post by Eskk Jannik »

Eskk was initially happy as Currituck began to leave. Then he turned around and came back. Why did he come back? He had correctly deduced that his presence was no longer needed, so why return. Eskk was annoyed by his seemingly pointless return into the conversation. Thankfully he just stood there. Boga and Currituck were making happy faces at eachother. Maybe Currituck wasn't as interested in the human girl as Eskk had assumed.

Maybe he did in fact have an unhealthy obsession with swords... Maybe it wasn't only the metal kind of swords he had an obsession with. While Eskk did not understand the concept of homosexuality, it was far more acceptable to him than fraternization with humans. Perhaps Eskk had judged Currituck too hastily. Only time would tell.

Eskk listened as Boga stumbled through his words, that was something they would definitely need to work on. Eventually he got around to inquiring about the duties Eskk had in mind for the position he had offered him. Good, Eskk thought, that means hes interested.

"Well you have two primary duties," Eskk responded to Boga. "The first is that you will be the visual representation of our message. If were holding a fundraiser, you will be dressed and made to look like the people we want to help. If I do a speech, you'll be dressed up to suit the idea of the speech. It wont require much of anything besides standing around in various outfits. I feel that the exceptional nature of your appearance makes you perfect for this role."

"Your second duty," Eskk continued to answer Boga's question. "Will be to interface with the public. Mostly this means that when we actually do help people, you will be at the fore front of it. We'll start by feeding the homeless as often as we can. You'll be at the helm of that. You'll be one of the people to hand out the plates directly to them. Also you'll have to help us recruit. Obviously this duty requires skills to be used that you may feel a little uncomfortable using. I want you to know that I believe you can do this and that I am willing to work with you in developing these skills as much as I can. I also think it would be a really good way to help develop your self confidence."

Eskk thought about the fact that the other two were constantly smiling at eachother. He tried to give a reassuring smile with his last sentence. Everything Eskk had said was true and sincere.
word count: 437
Currituck Itavi

It makes Currituck's heart sing when Boga says what he wants to say with confidence. His face is starting to hurt from smiling so much for so long. As Boga asks questions about the job description, Currituck looks up at Eskk, curious as well. He hadn't been paying attention in the last third of the speech, or during the audience's follow-up questions; he was too focused on Boga. What's this organization about, anyway?

The first thing is a bit weird. How is Boga dressing like he's homeless gonna help 'em raise money? Wouldn't that be condescending to the homeless and humiliating to Boga? If Eskk were to truss Boga up like a sailor tryna crowdfund ship repairs, Currituck'd be HIGHLY offended. Did not a shred of self-awareness go into thinking of this idea? And what does suiting the idea of the speech entail? Handing Boga an axe and telling him to act like Rakar? ...No, that'd probably be blasphemous to Eskk, he ain't even cool with worshippin' th' way ya want to. So Boga's just meant to stand around and look pretty...Cheon's Domain kinda job is that?!

The second duty makes more sense to Currituck. Boga's kind demeanor would certainly mean a lot to those in need. And Currituck believes in Boga, too. He can do anything he puts his mind to. So Currituck chimes in:

"Yeah Boga, you got this! And I can help ya with yer self-confidence, too!" He apparently already was. "Repay ya f'r you helpin' me with these!" he adds, puffing out his chest and flexing his biceps, the peaks of which barely show through his linen shirt.

...Currituck's face might actually freeze from smiling. So much fucking smiling.

He is screaming internally from happiness.
word count: 307
Boga Negura

Post by Boga Negura »

Boga nods along, listening carefully to what he would potentially do. Dressing up or down to cater to speeches and events. Essentially just a mascot. Standing around looking pretty. Doesn't sound exactly like envigorating work. Does he have to provide the clothes? He doesn't have extra money to spare for nice clothes. He doesn't know why he would have to dress down, but he can't provide any better clothes than he already has. But he'll figure that out, he supposes. Maybe he could convince Eskk to spare some of the funds to help pay for a good jacket or something.

The second duty however definitely seems more up his alley. He smiles at the proposition of helping the truly needy. He tries to spend the time to help out in the soup kitchen sometimes, though work gets in the way for the most part. But if he is a face for the organization then he would have a reason to do it more often. He'll have to sacrifice a bit of time, but that would be a worthy investment. He's willing to do that. He doesn't know what skills Eskk is entailing when he says Bo may be uncomfortable, but if it means he can actually, directly help people, he'll work through it. Whatever it is he'll do it. Especially if he's willing to help him with his confidence.

Boga was already going to accept the proposal, but Currituck chiming in with a cheer only confirmed it, alleviating any doubts he may have had about it in the first place. His smile grows back into a grin, accompanied by a chuckle— almost a giggle— as Currituck flexes and says he can help Boga too. That makes him happy. It isn't just working out with an acquaintance anymore, it's growing in both mind and body where each of them can teach each other a thing or two to help the other be the best they can be. This makes him very happy.

Returning his fingers to his collar bones to tap them and rub them, Boga nods firmly," That sounds alright with me then. As long as you're willing to be patient with me, I'll do the best I can. Let me know when or where or whatever, I'll be there." Insecurity about his previous instructors scolding him for his failures try to intrude on his mind, but all Boga could think is how excited he is that he'll actually be making a difference in Avakaron soon as well as how he just made a new friend. A friend that not only takes interests in similar things that Boga does but one that is open to and willing to help him with his problems.

It all feels somewhat surreal to Bo as he realizes the situation he's in. He hopes it's not all just a dream.
word count: 494
Eskk Jannik

Post by Eskk Jannik »

"Excellent," Eskk says enthusiastically. "The first thing I plan to do is a fundraiser in the spring. It'll cost me about 4 ruby skerricks to invest in the supplies I need to have this fundraiser. I also need to find a translator to speak in common so that humans can join if they want."

"I'll want you to be present for the fundraiser. Basically you will just need to hold a sign and look homeless for a couple hours. I'm hoping this will give us the start up funds we need to actually significantly help the homeless people and others. I am alsobhoping that it will get people talking about the organization and word will spread."

"I really think with our combined efforts we can change things. At least, I hope we can. Speaking of, do you know anybody who speaks common and might be willing to donate their time to the cause?" Eskk looks at Boga as he asks the question, but it's really an open ended question. "Also do you have any ideas about things we can do to help people?"

Before Boga can answer any questions Eskk continues speaking, "I want you to know that just because the organization is my idea doesnt mean I'm the boss. Its intended to be a collaborative effort. Part of the idea of the organization is to create discourse on how to change Avakaron for the better. Not just better for me, or better for you, or better for us, but better for everyone. I do have a few ideas, but as one Hellbend I cannot possibly know how to improve life for everyone. Also I must admit I am quite removed from some less fortunate people. So I just want to say that it isnt my organization. It is our organization. It is Avakaron's organization and my wish is for it to represent as many people as possible."
word count: 324
Currituck Itavi

Currituck is happy for his friend. He hopes Boga will do good, and that he can help him. He nods when Eskk mentions needing a Common translator -- it seems to Currituck that his pointed statement got through. He squints his eyes a little and presses his lips together like some seaweed just caressed his foot when Eskk says that Boga's gonna hold up a sign and look homeless, but he quickly shifts it to a neutral expression -- not that a sudden change from ear-to-ear smiling to looking creeped/grossed out is the most subtle expression shift. He just stands there idly with his hands behind his back as Eskk asks Boga more questions. Currituck smiles at how noble the cause...seems. He still doesn't trust Eskk fully. The racism and unsolicited advice rubbed Currituck the wrong way. But he decides to give the organization the benefit of the doubt for now; he can learn more at the spring fundraiser, granted he's ashore.

After Eskk finishes and before Boga can speak, Currituck says, "Well, I'm leavin' f'r real this time. See ya, Boga. Bye, Eskk." He waves to both as he turns and exits, stage northwest.
word count: 202
Boga Negura

Post by Boga Negura »

4 rubies? Damn, that's a lot of money. But he supposes that makes sense for a charity organization. That shouldn't be terribly difficult to achieve. People in Avakaron are rather generous, even if they don't fully agree with someone, so Boga sees no issue with it. But wait, did he say he'll dress up like he's homeless? Boga's eyebrows furrow with confusion. What does he have to look homeless?

He's about to inquire when Currituck makes his final leave. "Oh, bye Currituck! It was nice meeting you! May the gods cross our paths again soon!" As much as he wants Currituck making money, and therefore be sailing, he also does hope that Currituck will have some spare time a few days from now. He would like to get to know him better. He seems like a nice guy. Plus working out is a bonus, as always. "Anyway," Boga brings himself back to the fundraiser after Eskk's explanation of it being our organization, not just his," um, why would I have to look homeless, exactly? Wouldn't that be lying?" He didn't necessarily feel comfortable about that. "I know quite a few people, especially on the docks, and they all know I'm not homeless. Wouldn't that make people not want to donate? I can wear some of my work clothes if you want, but I don't know if I'm comfortable looking homeless exactly." Not to mention if any of his family were to stop by and see his display. That would not bode well for him at all if he's parading around like he has no home. He could say bye bye to the boat if that were to happen.
word count: 293
Eskk Jannik

Post by Eskk Jannik »

"I see," Eskk responded. "Well my idea was to have you look like the people we'd be trying to help and to have you hold a sign that said something along the lines of help the destitute do better. I was thinking of buying you a set of clothes just for this purpose and cutting them around the sleeves and the feet so that they kinda look tattered."

"If you're not comfortable doing that, I suppose we can forget the idea. I just thought it might help people be more inclined to donate or volunteer if they could see what we want to work to change."

"It's not really lying, because you're not representing yourself as homeless. You're not asking anyone to give you money. You're representing the homeless population for an organization that collects money to help the homeless. The reason I asked you to represent for them is primarily because people see you. Your size makes it so that people notice you."

Eskk paused a moment then continued. "Secondly, you're obviously not homeless. Your hair is too well kept, and your body is too well maintained for you to be homeless. People want to have an idea about what they are supporting. People dont actually want to see homeless people. Homeless people are unsightly. They make people feel guilty for what they have and that's not conducive to the idea of opening your pockets."

"Not only that," Eskk finished. "Your strong physical appearance helps to represent the change we want to see in the homeless population. We want to see them become strong and independent. I think you could represent this idea very well. Does any of what I'm saying to you ease your concerns or make sense to you?"
word count: 301
Boga Negura

Post by Boga Negura »

Boga nods formally, trying to think about it. It dawns on him how little he actually knows about any of this stuff. Are people really appalled at looking at homeless people? Boga understands the guilt issue, he feels that, but appalled? Would they really view Boga any different if he were to wear tattered clothes just because he's fit? Why would that make a difference for people? And if people don't like looking at homeless people then why would Boga dressing up as homeless help their cause?

Also, how would Boga be a good representation of the homeless if he's so different then them? How would people know that he is supposed to represent the homeless and their future plans for the homeless? Do people really think about all of these things when looking at fundraisers and organizations? That's a lot to think about, Boga is getting tired thinking about it now. He can't imagine doing this all the time. That's just too much.

"Uh, okay." He says hesitantly. "I can wear, uh, some of my worn clothes that have some holes, but I don't want to purposely portray myself as homeless. I have family who may see and they wouldn't like seeing me dressed up like that." And then drag him back to the longhouse to live with them again. That just wouldn't be a good situation.
word count: 237
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic