Avakaron[Complete] The Brazen and Buff

The Hellbend city on the northern shore of Winhem.
Boga Negura

Re: [Closed] The Brazen and Buff

Post by Boga Negura »

After getting his coin, Currituck is quick to remind Bo that Currituck is buy the drinks. But Boga smiles anyway," Is food suddenly a beverage?" Boga is always hungry. He may not always eat when he's hungry, choosing to wait until he feels he really needs it, but it's rather rare for him to not feel at least a little peckish. That's just normal for him, he doesn't think much about it. "You can still pay for the drinks, I'll just get a snack." He leaves the conversation there and arrives at the shack to ponder and flubber about with the menu.

It doesn't appear that Currituck notices Bo's awkwardness, but that could also just be Bo struggling to interpret people's emotions on a daily basis. Currituck looks prideful and exuberant as ever, so he's leaning towards that he doesn't notice. Thank the gods. More specifically Igthlor.

"I'm sure," that I don't want to ask you to read the menu for him, outting himself as being illiterate. "As long as it isn't sour I'm fine. The stronger the better for me, otherwise it's a waste of money." He laughs, his smile coming more naturally now. "Would save you some coin in the long run." Currituck orders their drinks, requesting extra rum for his own. Oooo, that sounds good, actually. The rum part anyway. Boga vaguely remembers the name of Avakaron's Own but he can't remember any flavours that may be attached, but the rum regardless sounds good. He's not sure if he should ask for extra in his drink, people don't really buy him drinks often. Is that rude? Is it not rude? Currituck's silent stare doesn't hint to either, and Boga doesn't pick up on the wordless question. "That sounds great," he nods in approval. "Also, do you have trout still? I remember you having trout for some reason," Boga asks the worker. The stranger nods. "Good, I'll take a serving of that and whatever comes with it, but put everything you'd normally put on it on the side please. Separate tab."
Last edited by Boga Negura on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 367
Currituck Itavi

Post by Currituck Itavi »

Currituck relents to Boga's insistence on paying for his own food. "Fine~"

Ah, so Boga isn't concerned about getting something too strong. Currituck smiles and addresses the employee: "Get m' man a shot a' rum, too, please, sir." The employee pours out a shot for Boga and sets it and a bottle opener on the counter. Which means that Boga might be uncomfortable here... Well, the alcohol'll solve that quick, and I c'n do m' best t' help m' friend feel comfortable! The Hellbend behind the counter jots the food order down and takes it back into the kitchen; Currituck opens the bottles then takes his serving of cider and rum and scans the galley for a place to sit. Where would I prefer to sit if I were Boga? He puts himself in Boga's shoes. If I were tall n' brawny, then I'd draw a lotta attention just by existin'. And if I were shy n' less confident, I'd prob'bly not like that attention. Although I woulda gotten used t' it by now from m' height n' build. Quite like how Currituck had long gotten used to being viewed as an anomaly due to his shortness and scrawniness. His and Boga's differences in that regard make them similar. Currituck's eyes fall on a two-top table on the starboard bow corner of the eating area. The same table he and Solara sat at a couple weeks ago. That was such an exciting day~

"They'll ring a bell when th' food's ready. Why don't we sit over 'ere, Boga?" He nods towards the small table with his head.
word count: 281
Boga Negura

Post by Boga Negura »

Boga grins for a short period after Currituck requests the same splash of rum to be added to his order. Oh, he meant a shot of rum separately, not directly in the other drink. That's fine, that's alright too. Bo doesn't really care, he's just happy to be here. Other than the brief fumbling with the menu, he doesn't think he's overthinking anything, he's not focusing on the past few weeks and all of their accidents and or adventures or anything else— he's just here, having a good day with a new friend. And for some reason, he's getting excited about getting a drink or two in him as well. Boga certainly has had a few drinks between now and his more mischievous drinking days, but he hasn't had that same sentiment about it like way back when. But right now it feels as if he were 16 again about to sit back with his buddy Sabyr across the street from the dance studio just before classes begin to watch the dancers practising through the window. Then again, most of the excitement Boga got from doing such was more from the view of one particular figure from the class rather than the drinking itself. But the gross, bubbly beers sure helped amplify that excitement, and so did Sabyr's drunken hooting and hollering over every step the dancers took. They only got shoo'd away once or twice too, which is baffling seeing how loud they both tended to be back then.

Those were some fun times.

Nostalgia buzzes about Boga's brain like a live wire when the employee serves them their drinks. Before Currituck is able to turn around and point at the tables he had in mind to sit at, Bo picks up his personal shot of rum and throws it back immediately. His grimace is distinct but short-lived after he swallows. He attempts to clear his throat, tongue flicking across the backs of his teeth," Smokey." His comment is directed entirely towards himself as he thinks out loud. He smiles when the burn settles, passing the shot glass back to the employee with a courteous thank you. Currituck then speaks up. "Huh? Oh, yeah, sure," Bo says through instinct before he turns to look at where his friend even was pointing. That table? The one over there? That's nowhere near the fire, though. "Actually," Bo points to a two-top table on the opposite side of the firepit as an already established couple who likely claimed their spot there over an hour ago," can we sit over there by the fire? Since we're not going to be moving around anymore it's going to get really cold really quickly." If he sits way over there, either they are going to have to move to the fire in 15 minutes or he's going to have to go home earlier than expected, lest he loses his balls to winter's freeze.
word count: 507
Currituck Itavi

Currituck is taken aback at first by Boga's prompt consumption of the shot, but in the next moment he lets out a laugh. You're cute, Boga! He doesn't say that out loud, though. "Eh, what th' chak," he says with a shrug. Currituck knocks his back too and presents his glass to the employee with a smirk. "Tercer fabulous. One more, please." The Hellbend pours him another. "Thank you." Then he pitches his idea for where to sit, but Boga has a better idea.

"Oh avent, yeah!" He starts heading that way, clinking the neck of his bottle of cider against the rim of his second shot. He totally forgot about the firepit in his considerations. Guess 'cuz he's just so used to being exposed to the elements due to working on ships in all seasons and weather. He cops the seat further from the shack so Boga can appreciate the increased insulation of the proximity to the wind barrier, settling into his upright sitting posture and taking a sip of his cider. He giggles at the fruity taste.

Y'know, it's funny, Currituck thinks to himself. Always thinking. A little over a week ago I was terrified of this man on sight, and now I'm finding him cute! Am I over my fear of larger Hellbend men now...? I'll have t' see. How exciting! He gazes fondly at his new friend. What a cool man... To think he ever was afraid of him...

"Thanks f'r showin' me all those things, Boga. I'll do m' best t' r'member 'em so I can play with 'em again. I really liked th' one where we hopped around like frogs, that one was really fun~" He giggles and drinks more of his cider.
word count: 300
Boga Negura

Post by Boga Negura »

Boga isn't sure what is suddenly funny, but he laughs with Currituck anyway, "Did I miss something?" He wouldn't be surprised, things are always going over his head. What is surprising is how many things manage to do that in the first place when he's considerably taller than most people. Funny how that works. Currituck joins him in the rum, even taking it a step further by getting a second one. Now Bo regrets giving back his glass. But that's okay, he probably shouldn't slug down a bunch of alcohol when he hasn't drunk all that heavy in a long while. As fun as the good ol' days were with pints upon pints of empty glasses of drinks scattered around him and his friends, the hangovers were always the more memorable parts of the experience and not something he intends on replicating.

Boga watches Currituck choose his seat first so he knows which seats are left available. And by available he means ideal. He doesn't want to sit too close to the other people, of course— they would be distracting— and Currituck took the spot with more open space around it, further away from the shack. So that left only one ideal spot, which is the one that is nearly against the shack itself. This works out perfectly. Boga is happy to settle in, claiming the chair and scooting it in a bit closer to the pit. He reaches his left hand out towards the gentle flames, the warmth building goosebumps along his forearms underneath his jacket. His sigh is relaxed and long with a content smile to pair, his right hand tapping the glass of his cider sitting on his thigh in idle.

Currituck thanks him for the teachings, Boga nodding but looking at the fire. "Of course, I'm glad you liked them," he chuckles once at the description of the frog hop. "I've never had anyone tell me that it's like hopping like a frog before, but then again people don't usually care to join me anyway, so it was good company. Thanks for being willing to join me. I forgot how nice it is having someone by your side, so it was a good change of pace and environment." He turns his head to better show Currituck his smile, the fire reflecting upon the glass lenses of his goggles, "So thank you."
word count: 406
Currituck Itavi

"It just surprised me thatch' drank it right away," he explains, the first few words of the sentence being playfully colored by the aftershocks of his concluding laughter. Currituck gets worried that Boga may misconstrue this as him laughing at him in a mean way. "I think it's cool how you did that," he adds, smiling sweetly.

Currituck doesn't want to hurt or scare his friend.

It puts Currituck's mind at ease, though, when he observes how Boga expresses contentment in his vocalizations and body language. His gentle sigh, his idle smile. It warms his insides like how the fire is warming his outsides. Maybe he worries about his new friend too much. But at the same time, when Currituck becomes a captain, it will be his JOB to worry about everyone and everything on his ship, because everyone and everything on his ship will be HIS responsibility. He wants to embody the traits of a captain now, and one way he can do that is by looking out for his friends.

...Is that why they call it 'friendship'?

Boga gives his reply, explaining that it's unusual for him to work out with another person. Currituck imagines for a moment how lonely Boga may feel, judging by how he describes the little sailor's company. Or maybe he enjoys being alone, and simply liked the change of pace. Like how Currituck enjoys feeling his emotions (to an extent), but he also enjoys when he doesn't feel any emotions at all, or when he's keeping them tempered and under control. He should work on that more often. Boga beams at him and thanks him a second time, and the combination of this and all that Boga said makes Currituck sit up straighter and beam his own smile back. "I'm happy that I got t' join you." He downs his second shot of rum and changes tack in the conversation:

"I haven't forgotten what I promised you. Back when we were talkin' t' Eskk near th' temples." He keeps his eyes on the features of Boga's face. "He said some a' th' stuff you'd be doin' with th' Better...th' Better Avakaronian Futures League--" It takes him a second to remember what it was that Eskk called the organization. "--might putch' a lil' outta y'r comfort zone." He gives Boga a big grin. "So I'M gonna help y' with that!" He calms his mouth into a neutral state. "What're some things you c'n think of thatch' might hafta do thatch'd wanna feel more comfortable doin'?"

~~~
Translation of sailor talk:
"It just surprised me that you drank it right away."

"He said that some of the stuff you'd be doing with the Better Avakaronian Futures League might put you a little out of your comfort zone. So I'M going to help you with that! What're some things you can think of that you might have to do that you'd want to feel more comfortable doing?"
word count: 594
Boga Negura

Post by Boga Negura »

"Oh really?" Boga laughs with him. He's being called cool now? Now he feels like he's 14. Currituck sits up straighter and takes his second drink, confirming what Bo hoped he would say. They could go back and forth all day like this, thanking for this and thanking for that, but Bo is already tired of the back and forth so he let's it lie there, nodding in conclusion and looking back at the fire.

Currituck seems done with that aspect of the conversation as well, moving on to the topic of a promise? What, the promise that he wasn't going to control his emotions? He hasn't done anything but laugh and be friendly. Is he trying to say that laughing is something he doesn't want to do? Because if that is the case, Boga thinks that's stupi- oh, BAFL. He remembers now, he said something about wanting to help him with that, didn't he? To be honest with himself, he really didn't want to talk about BAFL, or anything regarding the past few weeks. His goal with all of this is to avoid thinking about them so he can just relax but oh well, that's out the window now. He supposes he's not meant to relax.

Boga sighed through his nose and leaned back in his chair. He shifts a bit in the chair though since the chair back is too short, only supporting his lower back. He tries to make it work without slouching by lifting one of his feet to put it on his knee, but even before he fully placed it the back of the chair simply jabbed even more into him. He drops his foot and shigts to one side, putting his arm on the arm rest. Nope, nope, the arm rest is too short, nope. He sighs through his mouth this time, sitting straight and giving in to the slouch, scooting as far forward as possible so when he leans back his back will better supported.

"Yeah, me, Eskk, and Azat talked about it the other day," just after his self beating to be exact. "We came up with some ideas for a fundraiser and stuff but I don't know." He grabs his beer and attempts to open it, only to be reminded that it is already open. He takes a swig instead. The fruity cider dilutes the smokey residuals still left in his throat. "I'm having second thoughts about it, I might ask him to find someone else." Currituck being willing to help him with whatever would make him uncomfortable helps him feel like he's got support, but he's not sure if just one or two people would be enough to justify him having such an important role. "There's just too much-- " he takes a breath," for me. I don't think I have a very good..." He doesn't want to say reputation because then he'll have to explain why he doesn't have a good reputation and he doesn't want to get into that. At all. Ever. But he can't think of any other word. "A very good...I don't know. I don't think I'm a good fit, let's just say."
Last edited by Boga Negura on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 553
Currituck Itavi

Currituck watches Boga try to get comfortable in the undersized chair and eventually settle on a seated position that...maybe works? He doesn't seem too happy about it. Boga must deal with this crap on a daily basis...

Boga gives him a rundown of what he knows, while saying that he doesn't know. He then states that he's getting cold feet and goes on to explain why, with much hesitation, concluding that he doesn't know again. That phrase, he's used that phrase before. He doesn't seem like he wants to go into it. But if y' don't confront y'r problems, how in Cheon's Domain can y' be expected t' solve 'em? Still, be gentle. Currituck thinks about what to say for a moment before responding:

"Well, if it turns out t' be somethin' y' can't push past, they c'n always find someone else." He's speaking from personal experience. "But I recommend thatch' try y'r best so you c'n know f'r sure whether you c'n do it or not. Can't know if y' don't try." Currituck rotates his bottle to and fro idly, keeping his eyes trained on Boga's tinted goggles, pausing a split second before going on: "One thing I've noticed, Boga, is th' way y' speak. There's a lotta uncertainty in y'r voice. Not all th' time, but sometimes. Y' stammer n' trail off n' say y' don't know. What don't'cha know? Why don't'cha know? I dunno if y' know this, Boga, but th' way y' talk has a direct effect on y'r self-confidence. Ever heard a' 'fake it 'til y' make it'? That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. If y' act like y' ain't nervous, even if y' are, even if y'r chakin' scared aventless--" Again, he's speaking from personal experience. "--y'll feel more like how y'r actin', and y' won't feel so uncertain." He sips his cider and observes while looking at the bottle, "It's weird how that works." Currituck drops his hands down and rests his forearms on the arms of the chair while returning his eyes to Boga's goggles.

"I'ma be honest with y'. One reason why I talk with m' hands b'hind m' back--" He mimics the pose as best he can from the seated position, then resumes his prior posture. "--is 'cuz I fidget sometimes. I'm not always aware enough t' stop m'self b'fore I start fidgetin'. But if I'm holdin' m' hands b'hind m' back n' I start t' fidget, th' people I'm talkin' to won't notice, n' I notice real quick if m' hands aren't like this--" He holds up his hands in front of him to show Boga. From Boga's perspective, Currituck's left palm is in front, with its thumb being held in place by his right thumb, and his right hand is behind his left. "--'n I c'n correct m'self without anybody knowin' I was nervous in th' first place." He waves his hands around and looks up at the ceiling of the veranda. "Confidence inspires a crew, blah blah blah, I told y' all a' that b'fore." He takes his bottle in his right hand before returning his forearms to their rested position on the armrests and his gaze to Boga's goggles. "Just fake it 'til y' make it. Y'r head'll catch on eventually t' th' rest a' y'r body." He goes to take another drink like he's done talking, but he remembers something. "Oh yeah, another thing." The look in his eyes becomes more intense and serious and he leans forward a bit. "If a subject comes up in a conversation thatch' don't wanna talk about, say so firmly. Y' don't hafta beat around th' bush, y' don't hafta say y' don't know t' soften it up f'r whoever y'r talkin' to. Be firm. N' if they pry, stand y'r ground." Currituck gives Boga a determined, confident, encouraging smile. "A conversation goes both ways, n' you c'n back out at any time." He restores his upper body to perpendicular with the seat of the chair and finally takes another drink, keeping his eyes on Boga's goggles as he does.
word count: 749
Boga Negura

Post by Boga Negura »

Boga listens to his friend patiently as he stares at the fire, his left thumb running along the tops of each of his nails on the same hand individually. His stomach is beginning to radiate some warmth that gently lingers up his chest. Despite Currituck directly looking at him and his eyes, or goggles for that matter, Boga makes no attempt to turn and face him, instead letting the fire envelope his visual attention.

Currituck does have some good points, he's not going to deny that. Hiding his fidgetting is somewhat of a speciality of his. He might not be able to hide his stimming completely like Currituck can behind his back, but Bo has worked hard over the years to mask his need to play and fuss around with things in his hands. As a child, he'd play with anything and everything, no object was off-limits. He'd tug and twist his shirt, he'd chew on his hair, he'd walk and stomp his feet as hard as he could, sometimes he would sit and shakes his hands and head for hours, or squeeze his fists with all of his might. He'd used to sing and hum often as well. Screaming, singing, repeating what others say— those tended to be his favourites out of all of the stims. But these were also the first to be shut down. This behaviour is not something people like to see or hear, and Bo learned that the hard way. So he's worked to not do these things anymore. Instead of biting his hair, he's changed it for twisting its strands. Instead of stomping and flailing his hands, he taps his suspenders or collarbone. He doesn't sing anymore, he doesn't stomp, and he only shakes his hands when he can get away with it, like when he's warming up. It's significant progress, actually. Going from where he was as a child who seemed so irrational to others to being able to mask his needs well enough that others no longer comment on it— that's quite a change. Currituck probably doesn't even realize how important it is to Bo for him to do things like run his thumb across his nails or tap his bottle or even bounce his heel on the ground. Bo's never understood why it's important to him to do it, he just does it and he likes it. But he wishes he didn't. He wishes he can just be normal and not have to worry about how uncomfortable he's making other people with his actions.

Masking himself is good and all until he can't control it anymore and he bursts like a melon underneath the hoof of a steed.

Currituck goes on, talking about trying things you don't know. Bo does want to try out the position for BAFL, he hasn't done anything like it in the past. People have tried to convince him to become a part of certain organizations before, but he simply never goes along with it. So he does want to do it, he just doesn't think he should. Leaders should be people who are well-liked and trusted by the community. People that everyone can depend on in their darkest moments to show them the way. Boga isn't that type of person. He needs help. Serious help. People don't like it usually, those who know him rarely trust him, and when things grow dark Boga can't even figure himself out, let alone lead others to their own understandings. He's just not a leader.

He'll never be.

"It's not that I don't want to have this conversation," Boga says when Currituck finishes. "I do, in a way. It's just..." The warmth inside him loosens his tongue just a tad. "I don't think I can be a leader. There are so many things you have to be in order to be a leader and I'm just not. And I don't know if I even want to be more confident or anything like that either because when I am things don't go well." When he's confident and sure, people get hurt. Their feelings, their bodies, himself included. He was so sure that he was happy and confident enough to express that with Quent'n and now he has a fractured rib. He was so sure he was angry and didn't want to be touched at the market that the boys he was helping got punished for making him mad. He was so sure that he was furious and trapped that he bashed his head and fists into the walls, breaking half of his furniture.

A sure Boga is a dangerous Boga. He doesn't want to be dangerous.

He takes a heftier glug from his cider.
word count: 823
Currituck Itavi

Currituck listens to what Boga has to say. He, too, is feeling the rosies, as he calls them. O happy rosies~ The downside is that he has less physical control over the physical manifestations of his emotions on his face. His facial expression grows more and more bewildered as Boga's words flow through his head. Don't think you c'n be a leader? Why? Jus' ain't whatcha need d' be? Why? Avent don't go well when y'r confident? Why? I thought ESKK was th' leader? 'r maybe Boga's acshully s'pos'd d' have a leadership pozishun. N' not jus' be a masgot.

"How co--"

Ring ring!

Currituck turns his head in the direction of the bell sound. "Oh, that'z y'r's, I think." He stands up. "I'ma get 't." The little increasingly-drunken sailor makes his way around the tables towards the front counter of the shop, feeling how the rosies flow through his body and make walking feel funny. Like there are seagull feathers shooting around in his bloodstream. "This f'r muh buddy?" he asks of the employee once he reaches the bar. "It is." "Thank you, szir." Currituck looks down and rummages in his left pocket for his changepurse. "I beddur pay our tab now..." He brings up the changepurse and takes out enough to pay for the drinks. "'e said 'e'd pay f'r 'is food 'imzelf." The employee nods and accepts the payment, probably mentally thanking a God that the short seaman before him is cutting himself off. "If 'e wan's anythin' else, I'll come up n' pay for id, too." "Okay, sir." The employee assumes Currituck means the drinks. Currituck stores his changepurse back in his pocket and picks up Boga's trout and baked potato basket, with which there was included a swab of butter and a dollop of sour cream on the side. Furthermore, the seasonings that would normally be fried on the trout itself are in separate, small saucers on the side as well, along with mustard and tabasco in their respective small dishes for additional flavoring choices. "Tercerrr, this avent smells goooood~" Currituck remarks as he returns rosily to the table, placing Boga's tray of food before him. He gives Boga a less-than-smart sailor salute, "Lunch is served, sir!" and claps his hands together twice with happiness then resumes his chair, oddly enough persisting in his erect sitting posture despite how the rosies are affecting his behavior otherwise. But through the rosies, Currituck still wonders about what Boga said to him.

"Why d'y' think avent don't go well when y'r gonfident? I don' un'erstan', bud." He might've come up with a possible conclusion were he not two shots and a half a cider in.
word count: 475
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic